This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6226 / 50°37'21"N
Longitude: -2.4584 / 2°27'30"W
OS Eastings: 367665
OS Northings: 80426
OS Grid: SY676804
Mapcode National: GBR PY.CN4K
Mapcode Global: FRA 57RF.61S
Entry Name: The Lindens
Listing Date: 22 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1313410
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467257
Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT4
District: Weymouth and Portland
Town: Weymouth and Portland
Electoral Ward/Division: Melcombe Regis
Built-Up Area: Weymouth
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Radipole and Melcombe Regis
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY6780SE ALEXANDRA ROAD
873-1/15/7 (West side)
Nos.24 AND 26
The Lindens (No.26)
Barracks, now pair of semi-detached bungalows. 1798. By
Alexander Copland (a London contractor) For the Barrack
Master, General Col DeLancey. Rendered on timber-framing,
slate hipped roof, replaced by asbestos-cement slate to No.24.
Each bungalow is of L-plan; No.24 returns with a hipped end to
a long wing, and No.26 returns to a set-back gabled
projection, then the return wing.
EXTERIOR: single storey, each 2 windows; 4-pane sashes, with
pointed heads, but in square frames, above an apron panel. At
the centre is a contemporary lean-to porch with a door to
pointed head, under a transom light and with side-lights, with
a mid-bar, and with small corner quadrants. Between the 2
bungalows is a vertical projecting party-divider with
scalloped saw-tooth edge, continued over the roof slope as a
slight capping, and there is an eaves band with a series of
small stamped or punched quatrefoils, and fluted end
pilasters. A ridge centre stack, and further stacks at each
The left return has a gable end with wavy barge-board over a
large 4-pane sash, and the right return a 1:3:1-light square
bay with lean-to roof, and a large 4-pane sash.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: probably officers' quarters for Radipole
Cavalry Barracks, built in 1798, but abandoned by 1828
(RCHME); these had a large parade square to the W of
Dorchester Road, and the bungalows stood on the far W side of
Formed part of a chain of one-troop cavalry barracks along the
south coast planned by DeLancey. With Nos 1-5 Radipole Terrace
(qv), these have considerable historic interest as examples of
semi-permanent military accommodation, between the flexible
and cheap temporary use of rented warehouses and barns during
the intense invasion scares of the Napoleonic Wars, and the
permanent but slow and costly alternative of brick barracks.
(RCHME: Dorset: South-East: London: 1970-: 358).
Listing NGR: SY6766580426
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings