This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.606 / 50°36'21"N
Longitude: -2.4511 / 2°27'4"W
OS Eastings: 368171
OS Northings: 78575
OS Grid: SY681785
Mapcode National: GBR PY.DQ53
Mapcode Global: FRA 57RG.NWM
Entry Name: Wellington Court
Listing Date: 7 August 1973
Last Amended: 22 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1313415
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467262
Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT4
District: Weymouth and Portland
Town: Weymouth and Portland
Electoral Ward/Division: Weymouth East
Built-Up Area: Weymouth
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Weymouth Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/02/2017
SY 6878 NW,
BARRACK ROAD (North West side),
(Previously listed as: Nos.34-45 (Consecutive) Wellington Court)
(Formerly Listed as: BARRACK ROAD, Main block at Red Barracks)
Cavalry barracks, now apartment block. 1795, but rebuilt 1801
after a fire (RCHME); adapted to domestic use late C20.
Brickwork, rendered and scribed on SE and SW sides, hipped
EXTERIOR: Three storeys, but with a basement to five NW bays; the
main entrance front to the NE has slightly stepped ends, and
is in 5+8+5 bays. All windows are 12-pane sashes to fine brick
voussoirs and stone sills, and a continuous plain sill band at
first floor. In bays 3, 8, 11 & 16 is a wide, recessed panel to
a brick arch containing a C20 six-panel door with side lights.
The NW return has similar fenestration, plus a further sash in
three bays to the basement, which has a small area enclosed by a
painted brick retaining wall; at the ground floor the central
opening is in a recessed arch, as though for a door. There are
The long SW front is in seventeen bays (not eighteen, as the far side), and
without breaks, eight square oriels have been added to the first
floor, and there is a C20 glazed, gabled porch in the third
bay; to the left of this is the basement area. The short
return to Barrack Road is in three bays, as the opposite end, but
rendered, and without basement.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this block, when rebuilt in 1801 for
infantrymen, accommodated 17 officers and 270 men. After a
period of disuse the building has been adapted for current
use, and the value of the work is recognised by the Weymouth
Civic Society accolade and plaque. Red Barracks formed part of
a chain of one-troop cavalry stations along the south coast,
planned by the Barrack Master, General Col. Delancey.
Part of an externally complete group.
(RCHME: Dorset: South-East: London: 1970-: 341).
Listing NGR: SY6817178575
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings