This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7585 / 53°45'30"N
Longitude: -1.6605 / 1°39'37"W
OS Eastings: 422480
OS Northings: 429175
OS Grid: SE224291
Mapcode National: GBR JSVZ.9F
Mapcode Global: WHC9J.GSJK
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1313446
English Heritage Legacy ID: 341800
Location: Drighlington, Leeds, BD11
Civil Parish: Drighlington
Built-Up Area: Batley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Drighlington St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE2229 BD11 WHITEHALL ROAD
MORLEY (west side),
Church of St. Paul
Church. 1876-78 by Swinden Barber (Halifax), sanctuary remodelled c1928 by
Sir Charles Nicholson (Diocesan Architect). Hammer-dressed stone, ashlar
dressings, Welsh blue-slate roof. West tower, nave, aisle and chancel, south
porch, Gothic Revival style, mixed but mainly Perpendicular. 3-stage embattled
tower, each stage set back with chamfered band. 5-light window with panel
tracery; 2nd stage has lancets; 3rd stage has 4-light belfry openings with
cusped lights under which is clock added c1933. 4-bay nave with plinth, gabled
porch set in 1st bay of aisle, 3-light windows with panel tracery to aisle,
clerestorey with four 3-light chamfered-mullioned windows with cusped lights.
Coped gable with cross finial on right. Lower chancel of 3 bays, 2 of which
have continuation of aisle with 2-light windows with traceried heads and priests'
door with ogee lintel in lean-to porch at junction with nave. 3rd bay has larger
3-light window with traceried head. Diagonal buttresses to east end which has
large 7-light window with panel tracery, hoodmould with carved face stops, coped
gable surmounted by cross.
Interior: nave has pointed-arch arcades on octagonal piers with moulded capitals
carved with foliage decoration. King-post roof with carved bosses to soffit of
tie-beams and with arch-braced intermediate trusses. Opus sectile mosaic over
chancel arch illustrates St. Paul set between coconut trees. Chancel has hammer-
beam roof with gilded angels.
Furnishings: retains original pews and choir-stalls which have Perpendicular
traceried bench ends. Parclose screen to south chapel with 2-bay arcade to
chancel, Caen stone pulpit has fine carved bas relief depicting scenes from
St. Paul's life. Elaborate altar with parchemin panelled oak reredos flanked
by fluted pilasters and rail with Jacobean-style finials.
Stained glass windows by Charles Kempe (London) c1884-1902 with some later
windows by Powell of Leeds.
Listing NGR: SE2248029175
Other nearby listed buildings