This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9299 / 53°55'47"N
Longitude: -1.3863 / 1°23'10"W
OS Eastings: 440395
OS Northings: 448376
OS Grid: SE403483
Mapcode National: GBR LQRZ.NZ
Mapcode Global: WHDB0.PH22
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 8 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1313467
English Heritage Legacy ID: 341925
Location: Wetherby, Leeds, LS22
Civil Parish: Wetherby
Built-Up Area: Wetherby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Wetherby St James
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE4048 WETHERBY CHURCH STREET
LS22 (north end)
5/7 Church of St. James
Church. 1839-42, chancel extended 1877. By J. B. and W. Atkinson. Dressed
sandstone, Welsh slate roof. West tower, wide 4-bay nave with south porch;
taller, narrower single-bay chancel with south vestry and north organ
chamber. Gothic Revival style with lancet windows. Tower: offset plinth,
hollow-edged angle buttresses with gablets rising as pilasters with shafted
arrises; double-chamfered south door with hoodmould; tall 2nd stage with west
and south clocks in deeply-chamfered recesses with hoodmoulds; louvred 3-
light belfry openings with shafts, moulded arches and linked hoodmoulds;
corbelled cornice below parapet with blind quatrefoils and 8 pinnacle bases
(pinnacles removed 1939). Navel chamfered plinth; buttresses with gablets at
angles and between bays. Flat-roofed porch to bay 2 has hooded arch and
spandrel quatrefoils; circular window over has cusped radial tracery.
Stepped 3-light windows to other bays beneath continuous round-arched
hoodmoulds with carved stops; corbel table to coped ashlar parapet; gable
copings. Chancel: lean-to south vestry with shouldered-headed door on right
of 2-light window with hoodmould. Hollow-edged angle buttresses with gablets
flank east window of 5 stepped lights divided by shafts; coped gable has
cinquefoiled opening and apex cross.
Interior treble-chamfered tower arch with hoodmould returning at floral
stops to cover nave windows. Tall, moulded chancel arch; pointed arch into
organ chamber. Queen-post trusses to the nave; painted panelled ceiling in
the chancel. Stained glass: east window of 1877, west window of 1889. Royal
Coat of Arms dated 1776 on nave north wall. Bronze memorial to dead of 1914-
18 on south wall.
R. Unwin, Wetherby, 1986 pp 104-106 (illustration of church in original
Listing NGR: SE4039548376
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings