History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II Listed Building in Holmfirth, Kirklees

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6049 / 53°36'17"N

Longitude: -1.7928 / 1°47'34"W

OS Eastings: 413804

OS Northings: 412060

OS Grid: SE138120

Mapcode National: GBR HVXR.NG

Mapcode Global: WHCB7.FNH8

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 16 January 1967

Last Amended: 4 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1313556

English Heritage Legacy ID: 340262

Location: Holme Valley, Kirklees, HD9

County: Kirklees

Civil Parish: Holme Valley

Built-Up Area: Holmfirth

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Honley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Brockholes

Listing Text

SE 1312 CHURCH STREET
9/35 (Honley)

16.1.67 Church of St Mary the
Virgin
(formerly listed as
Church of St Mary)
GV
II


North-east/south-west Gothic revival Church. 1843 by R D Chantrell, with alterations
in 1888 and addition in 1909. Hammer dressed stone, buttressed, with ashlar
dressings. Stone slate roof with ashlar roll-top copings. Hipped roofs to aisles.
Three sided apse to chancel with 1888 stained glass and small bellcote at roof apex.
Nave of 7 bays with clerestorey lights. Aisles with simple lancet lights with hood
moulds, some with stained glass. Stone porch at each end of south-west side. Four
tier bell tower with large pinnacles. Three-light louvred bell chamber. Clock face
to each side. Vestry and organ chamber added to north end, 1909. Interior: Arcades
of 7 bays on clustered colonnettes. Gallery at south-west end and extends for 5 bays
to each side. Colourful "wine-glass" type pulpit (1888). Restored stencilling to
chancel walls. Hammer beam trusses to roof. History: erected on site of chapels of
pre-1507 and of 1750. Reference and photograph in 'The History of Honley',
M A Jagger, 1914.


Listing NGR: SE1380412060

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.