History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in Dewsbury, Kirklees

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.692 / 53°41'31"N

Longitude: -1.6507 / 1°39'2"W

OS Eastings: 423160

OS Northings: 421780

OS Grid: SE231217

Mapcode National: GBR JTXR.F8

Mapcode Global: WHC9X.MG4J

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 3 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1313651

English Heritage Legacy ID: 340688

Location: Kirklees, WF13

County: Kirklees

Electoral Ward/Division: Dewsbury West

Built-Up Area: Dewsbury

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Dewsbury Team Parish

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Batley

Listing Text

DEWSBURY CB BOOTHROYD LANE
SE 22 SN (Dewsbury Moor)

2/5
Church of St. John

II


Commissioners church in Lancet style. 1823-7 by Thomas Taylor.
Ashlar. Stone slate roof with crenellated parapet. Square,
4-tier, diagonally buttressed west tower with crenellated parapet
and crocketed pinnacles. 3-light bell chamber openings with
Y-tracery. 7-bay heavily buttressed nave. The buttresses
continue above the parapet as gabled pinnacles. 2-light lancets
with Y-tracery and hood moulds. Small, single bay chancel with
large 3-light east window with Y-tracery. Tiny Lady chapel c.1946
on north side of chancel.

Interior: Bay divisions marked by buttresses which support vaulting
over windows. Panelled ceiling. West gallery with panelled oak
front and elaborately carved frieze. Panelled oak dado to nave and
chancel. Octagonal font with small granite colonnettes on clustered
pedestal, restored 1927. Very colourful stained glass. East window
by Francis Barnett of York.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.


Listing NGR: SE2316021780

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.