This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7071 / 53°42'25"N
Longitude: -1.9134 / 1°54'48"W
OS Eastings: 405810
OS Northings: 423407
OS Grid: SE058234
Mapcode National: GBR HT2K.JV
Mapcode Global: WHB8N.L21X
Entry Name: The Royal Hotel
Listing Date: 19 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1313748
English Heritage Legacy ID: 339363
Location: Calderdale, HX6
Electoral Ward/Division: Sowerby Bridge
Built-Up Area: Sowerby Bridge
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sowerby St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SOWERBY BRIDGE SOWERBY STREET
SE 0423 & SE 0523
The Royal Hotel
Hotel. Mid C19. Coursed squared stone, stone slate roof. 3 storeys with
cellar; 7 bays to Sowerby Street, 6 bays to West Street, rounded corner
bay. Openings have plain stone surrounds, windows with flat-faced mullions.
Corner bay has a 3-light window to each floor with curved 4-pane sashes;
cornice with blocking course; flat roof. Sowerby Street front: painted
and ground floor rendered. Plinth. lst-floor cill band. Tall doorway
with pilasters and cornice to bay 2; to bay 4 a tall round-arched doorway
with 4-panel double door, fanlight, hollow-moulded surround incised as quoins
and a small circular moulded recess to either side. Windows have lintels
incised as voussoirs; most have sashes or 4-pane sashes and are 1-light,
2nd-floor window of bay 1 blocked, 2-light windows to ground and lst floors
of bay 6 and 3-light windows with wider central lights to bay 7. Flat roof
to bays 1 and 2. 2 corniced stacks. West Street front: 3 left bays set
back slightly and with straight joint between them and right-hand part which
has cellar. Doorway to bay 3; late C19 shop front to left bay with 4-panel
door, shop window, rusticated jambs and entablature. Above it on each floor
a 3-light window with wider central light. 2-light windows to ground and
lst floors of bay 4, bay 6 blind, otherwise single-light windows. Continuous
lst-floor cill band; gutter brackets on table. Eaves stack to right; 2
corniced ridge stacks. Recorded as being occupied in 1847 (by John March.
Whites Directory, 1847, p 475).
Listing NGR: SE0581023407
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings