History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

New Hall

A Grade I Listed Building in Elland, Calderdale

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6851 / 53°41'6"N

Longitude: -1.8211 / 1°49'16"W

OS Eastings: 411909

OS Northings: 420974

OS Grid: SE119209

Mapcode National: GBR HTQT.JQ

Mapcode Global: WHC9V.0M2S

Entry Name: New Hall

Listing Date: 24 January 1968

Last Amended: 23 November 1983

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1313979

English Heritage Legacy ID: 338566

Location: Calderdale, HX5

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Elland

Built-Up Area: Elland

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Elland St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Brighouse

Listing Text

In the entry for

WHITWELL GREEN LANE

2/142
Elland Hall and New Hall
(formerly listed as Elland New
Hall)


The item shall be amended to read: New Hall (formerly listed as
Elland Ilew Hall)

------------------------------------

ELLAND WHITWELL GREEN LANE
SE 119209
2/142 Elland Hall and New Hall
(formerly listed as
Elland New Hall)
24.1.68
I

Important 'gentry' house, built in the second half Cl5 for Nicholas Savile. Exposed
timber frame to the north and interior, with partial cladding in hammer-dressed stone,
with dressed stone to hall range of south front. Stone slate roof. H-plan, hall-and-
crosswings which project to both north and south. South front in stone, of 6 uneven
sized cells, reads from the left: a) western 2-storey wing, b) 2-bay hall, refronted
c.1640 by John Foxcroft, c) cross passage with 2-storey porch, d) eastern 2-storey
wing, e) mid C18 2-storey extension set back from hall range but with Cl7 single
storey outshut with chamfered mullioned windows to north, f) early C19 gabled wing
breaks forward. Cells a) and d) both have coped gables with kneelers and finials and
early C18 windows of 4 lights with recessed flat faced mullions with square reveals to
both floors, with projecting surrounds, and crude edged-slate hoodmould over with
straight returns. Left hand return wall of a) and right hand return wall of d) have
large well dressed lateral stacks with offsets, set upon a plinth (probably built on
to the earlier timber-framed wings). Cell b) has spectacular double chamfered
mullioned and transomed hall window of 27 lights arranged in 3 Panels of 9 lights with
two transoms, divided by king mullions. To the left there is a 2-light double
chamfered mullioned window to light the upper end of the hall, and over a single arch-
headed light for the gallery. A hoodmould continues over the windows. Embattled
parapet has C20 finials in keeping. Cell c) has impressive ashlar-faced projecting
porch with flamboyant rose window of central circle surrounded by 6 mouchettes, an
'apple and pear' window, with semi-circular hoodmould over. Small gabled parapet with
original finial to apex and carved heads on the straight returns and embattled to the
return walls. The outer doorway has semi-circular arch riding from moulded imposts
and has moulded jambs and voussoirs. To either aide are fluted Doric columns with
straight entablature and a lozenge carved on the rectangular plinth. The inner doorway
of the porch is similar, but arch and jambs have alternating flush and projecting
stones with rusticated voussoirs, a vernacular version of a Gibbs surround. Cell e) is
partly built over the extruded stack to the east wing which has large quoins; to the
right is a cross window (for staircase) with flat faced mullions over a doorway with
monolithic jambs, 4-light flat faced mullioned window with broader central king
mullion and same to first floor. At the end of the bay is a large ashlar stack to
ridge. Cell f) has a projecting 2-storey wing, Cl9. Rough rubble, with 3-light flat
faded mullioned window with dame over with projecting sill and square opening in gable.
First floor also has taking-in door (blocked). Right hand return walls are rendered.
North front had surviving timber frame at first floor level with atone walls set forward
to ground floor. East wing has 4-light double chamfered mullioned window with 3 panels
of timber framing over. The central panel had close studding and projecting window
while the outer panels have diagonal braces. The gable projects and is supported by
arch brace to side and has heavy tie bead and king post truss with 'A' struts
protected by projecting eaves with unusual thistle shaped wooden finial to apex of
gable. This has leanto with cat slide roof over rear entry of through passage, large
kneelers to entry support close studded wall over. West wing also has part timbered
outshut but with re-used inserted C17 doorway and 5-light double chamfered mullioned
window with hoodmould with spiral stops. Over are two flat faced mullioned windows of
3 lights and 4 lights to first floor. Only the gable shows the exposed king post truss
with 'A' struts and arched brace to ridge of projecting eaves. Right-band return wall
is rendered and has three small double chamfered windows and some quoins to the angle.

Interior: Both wings have parlours to south front with 'coffered' ceilings with
cross beams and secondary spine-beams, all stop chamfered at the intersections; west
wing has 9 panels, and east wing 6 with C16 painting of the elephant and castle, and
the pascal lamb with cross, both surrounded by intertwined rope, to the underside of
wide original floorboards. Both parlours have large fireplaces with heavy roll-
moulding (possibly, early C16). Open hall, without side-aisles, has heavy timbered
post and King post truss with cambered tie beam to the soffit braced to the ridge.
Oak panelled walls with brattished spring-board to dais canopy, (now gone). An oak
staircase ascends to a gallery running round 3 sides. A segmental stone arched fire-
place is surmounted by spectacular large plaster cast of the Royal Arms, dated 1670
(coloured and gilded). This house is one of the most important vernacular buildings
of West Yorkshire. During the C17 it was occupied by Dr. Power one of the first
elected members of the Royal Society. L. Ambler, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of
Yorkshire', (London 1913) p.80-1. N. Pevsner, 'Yorkshire West Riding' (1979) p.193,
625. C. Giles, 'Old West Riding' Vol. 1 No. 2 (Huddersfield 1981) p.1-11. A. J. Pacey,
Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol. XLI p.455-64. E. Mercer, English Vernacular
Homes' RCEM (1919) p.16.


Listing NGR: SE1190920974

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.