History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Albert Memorial at Junction with Brighouse Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Queensbury, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7684 / 53°46'6"N

Longitude: -1.8437 / 1°50'37"W

OS Eastings: 410400

OS Northings: 430242

OS Grid: SE104302

Mapcode National: GBR HSKV.NV

Mapcode Global: WHC9F.NJ8X

Entry Name: The Albert Memorial at Junction with Brighouse Road

Listing Date: 7 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314179

English Heritage Legacy ID: 337401

Location: Bradford, BD13

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Queensbury

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Queensbury Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Thornton

Listing Text

SE15SW QUEENSBURY HIGH STREET
(south side)
Queensbury

5/27 The Albert Memorial
at junction with
Brighouse Road

GV II

Memorial to Prince Albert. Dated 1865. By Eli Milnes of Bradford
for John Foster & Son. Ashlar. Tall Gothic structure on 4-step
podium. Red-granite drinking water fountains at base, above which,
on 2 sides are well-carved panels of foliage, one with a swan, the
other with a heron. On a third side a bronze plaque reads:

"ALBERT PRINCE CONSORT of Her Majesty / Queen Victoria who died December /
the 14th AD 1861. / This monument was erected by / John Foster & Son:
whitsuntide 1863."

Above, to each side is a well carved allegorical figure in canopied niche
niche with red-granite colonnettes. Agriculture, Industry, Literature, Fine
Art. Diagonal buttresses terminate in tall crocketed pinnacles. Surmounting
the centre is an octagonal stage with diaper-work at the base and a central
pedestal surrounded by red-granite colonnettes which support the gable
treatment at the base of the tall central spire. Cross finial.


Listing NGR: SE1040030242

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.