History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Main Blocks Forming Great Horton First School and Middle School, and Master's House to North.

A Grade II Listed Building in City, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.781 / 53°46'51"N

Longitude: -1.7817 / 1°46'54"W

OS Eastings: 414481

OS Northings: 431655

OS Grid: SE144316

Mapcode National: GBR JBQ.Z5

Mapcode Global: WHC9G.L7S7

Entry Name: Main Blocks Forming Great Horton First School and Middle School, and Master's House to North.

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314370

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336340

Location: Bradford, BD7

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Great Horton St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 CROSS LANE
Horton BD7

Main blocks forming Great Horton

First School and Middle School,

and Master's House to north

SE 1431 NW 50/431
SE 1431 NE 51/431

II


2.
Dated 1886. Architects: Morley and Woodhouse. Good example of Bradford School
Board competition design. Two large single-storey blocks and master's house to
right hand. Sandstone "bricks" with ashlar dressings. The design has elements of
the Queen Anne revival. The fronts of the 2 blocks have projecting wings with
large mullioned transomed windows flanking recessed centre containing 2 large
Venetian windows with pedimented gables crowned by ball finials, scrolled supports to
gable. Behind centre rises body of main hall with tall swept supports to pedimented
gable overall. The south-west block is similar but with one Venetian only to centre.
The adjacent master's house is a compact building of 2-storeys sandstone "brick",
ashlar groove pilasters surmounted by ball finials. Hipped slate roof. Mullioned
transomed windows, in rectangular bays on ground floor.


Listing NGR: SE1448131654

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.