History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Behrens Warehouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in City, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7941 / 53°47'38"N

Longitude: -1.7441 / 1°44'38"W

OS Eastings: 416954

OS Northings: 433118

OS Grid: SE169331

Mapcode National: GBR JMK.0H

Mapcode Global: WHC99.5WQR

Entry Name: Behrens Warehouse

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314395

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336384

Location: Bradford, BD1

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 EAST PARADE BD1
(east side)

No 26

SE 1633 SE 37/465 (Behrens Warehouse)

II* GV


2.
One of the largest of the warehouse/office blocks in the precinct known as "Little
Germany". Imposing corner site with Peckover Street. Designed for S L Behrens in
1873 by the Milnes and France partnership. Five tall storeys and semi-basement,
ashlar sandstone finely dressed. A grand but functional design with restrained
Italianate details. 14 window range to East Parade and 10 window return to Peckover
Street. Deeply rusticated basement, the windows to Peckover Street having fine
Greek key and wheel patterned cast iron grilles. Deep sill band to ground floor with
the bays articulated by V grooved pilastrade. Deep frieze and projecting cornice
above with blocking course as sill course to first floor windows. The latter one
also pilastraded and have stilted segmental archivolt arches. Bracket cornice over
first floor. Plain windows on sill bands to upper floors. Prominent eaves cornice
supported by large console brackets. Tall banded, corniced chimneys of Venetian
derivation. Massive portal with waggonway adjacent at end of East Parade elevations
paired banded pilasters with capitals formed of 4 giant acanthus leaves flank the
portal, entablature with bracket cornice and balustraded stone balcony above with
flanking dies. The waggonway, of the same proportions as the portal, has the ground
floor sill band and rustication returned into reveals; fine cast and wrought iron
gates with baluster rails in Greek key and wheel framework, valance of similar
pattern with date and name of owner. The gates, in the usual way, give access to
the loading bay with hoist through full height of warehouse.


Listing NGR: SE1695433118

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.