History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Main Block to Cannon Mill with Block Adjoining South West Side and Block to North East with Linking Footbridge

A Grade II Listed Building in City, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7845 / 53°47'4"N

Longitude: -1.781 / 1°46'51"W

OS Eastings: 414527

OS Northings: 432046

OS Grid: SE145320

Mapcode National: GBR JCN.4X

Mapcode Global: WHC9G.M43J

Entry Name: Main Block to Cannon Mill with Block Adjoining South West Side and Block to North East with Linking Footbridge

Listing Date: 9 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314410

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336471

Location: Bradford, BD7

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: City

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Great Horton St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 GREAT HORTON ROAD BD7
(north-west side)

Main Block to Cannon Mill with

block adjoining south-west side

and block to north-east with

linking footbridge
SE 1432 44/535
SE 1431 NW 5O/535
SE 1431 NE 51/535

II GV


2.
Built in 1826 by Samuel Cannan and originally known as Sammy Cannan Mill. In 1839
the chimney fell causing serious damage. The mill was largely rebuilt and extended
circa 185O by its new owner Charles Tetley, inventor of the centrifugal pump, who
gave the mill its present name. The mill stands at the foot of the streets of
workers cottages, the main block parallel with Great Horton Road. The main 4-storey
sandstone "brick" range of 2O bays probably comprises much of the original 1826
build. The long front is broken by 2 stair turrets crowned by pediments; sill bands,
moulded stone eaves, quoin pilasters. Close set linteled windows, coupled and
tripled narrower ones to turrets, ashlar arched and impost bands. Adjoining to west
is an extension of the same height fronting what was probably the engine house;
quoin pilasters, rusticated ashlar ground floor with vermiculated piers dividing tall
round arched windows and 2 flanking doors; 3 windows to upper floor, round arched with
linking impost string on first floor, segmental arches to rest. Tall round headed
side windows. Gabled and quoined waggon shed adjoins again to east dated 187O. To
the east and running north-west-south-east is a detached 4-storey block probably
added by Tetley with linking footbridge. Sandstone "bride", ashlar quoin pilaster,
sill bands returned to pedimental gable end. 16 windows west side has pilastered
doorway with heavy dentilled pediment.


Listing NGR: SE1452732046

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.