History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tong, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7705 / 53°46'13"N

Longitude: -1.7324 / 1°43'56"W

OS Eastings: 417737

OS Northings: 430496

OS Grid: SE177304

Mapcode National: GBR JPT.JY

Mapcode Global: WHC9H.CH99

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 4 September 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314522

English Heritage Legacy ID: 337060

Location: Bradford, BD4

County: Bradford

Electoral Ward/Division: Tong

Built-Up Area: Bradford

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Bierley St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bradford

Listing Text

1.
5111 ROOLEY LANE
Bierley BD4

Church of St John
SE 13 SE 9/32 4.9.52

II*


2.
Built as a proprietary chapel in 1766, architect John Carr. Enlarged 1828 and
1831. The church was commissioned by Richard Richardson of Bierley Hall as an
estate chapel. It was only consecrated in 1824. A small but finely detailed
classical "barn". The north transept and west porch added 1828-31. Finely
dressed ashlar sandstone. Deep eaves and pedimented gable ends with large
modillion brackets. The west front pediment is surmounted by a graceful bell
turret with engaged Tuscan columns, small dome and short obelisk-spire with
weathervane. Three bay side elevations with arched windows shallowly recessed
for one order. Plat band at impost level carried right round the building.
East end has a Venetian window, with blind side lights recessed for one order
and over arched. The 3 bay west front has a shallow 2-storey arched recess to
centre containing a corniced plaque with guttae set above the Gibbs surround
doorway. The latter is screened by a Tuscan double columned porch added
circa 1823. Plain, revealed glazing bar sashes flank on ground floor and square
blank panels at first floor level above plat band. Oculus in pediment. The
north transept is detailed in the same manner as the original. Inside has very
restrained classical mouldings. West gallery with delicate balustrade breaking
forward to centre over internal porch of 6 Tuscan columns. Similar balustrade
to gallery in north transept, supported on cast iron columns. Original
baluster, stem pulpit, octagonal bowl with set of panels added in 1905. Two
large C18 paintings flank the altar.


Listing NGR: SE1773730496

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.