History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coach House Approximately 5 Metres to North of Birley Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Ecclesfield, Sheffield

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4308 / 53°25'50"N

Longitude: -1.5047 / 1°30'16"W

OS Eastings: 433008

OS Northings: 392782

OS Grid: SK330927

Mapcode National: GBR KXYR.1W

Mapcode Global: WHCCB.V1P6

Entry Name: Coach House Approximately 5 Metres to North of Birley Hall

Listing Date: 18 September 1978

Last Amended: 8 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314562

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335462

Location: Ecclesfield, Sheffield, S6

County: Sheffield

Civil Parish: Ecclesfield

Built-Up Area: Sheffield

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Grenoside St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Walkley

Listing Text

SK39SW ECCLESFIELD EDGE LANE
(north side),
Birley Edge.

10/139 Coach-house
approximately 5
metres to north
of Birley Hall
18.9.78 Farmhouse (formerly)
listed as part of Two
former Coach-Houses
and Barn at Birley
Hall Farm)

GV II


Coach-house now dwelling. Built between 1797 and 1827. Coursed, squared
gritstone, ashlar piers, C20 cement tiled roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays.
Symmetrical gabled facade. Blind arcade of 3 round-headed arches,
infill set back. Plinth to piers, plain impost blocks to voussoired
arches. Central C20 part-glazed door, flanking bays have sashes with
glazing bars. Above central arch a blind quatrefoiled opening in
projecting ashlar surround. Square-cut coping to pediment shaped
gable. Forms a matched pair within Birley Hall- Farmhouse q.v. C20
garage to right and extension to rear not of special interest. Included
partly for group considerations. Dates cited in previous list
description, from William Fairbank's map of 1797, a survey map of 1827,
Sheffield City Library ACM Ecc. 192 and Ecc. 702.


Listing NGR: SK3300892782

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.