This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4891 / 53°29'20"N
Longitude: -1.3201 / 1°19'12"W
OS Eastings: 445210
OS Northings: 399367
OS Grid: SK452993
Mapcode National: GBR MX72.0Z
Mapcode Global: WHDD5.PKLK
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 21 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314575
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335534
Location: Rotherham, S64
Electoral Ward/Division: Swinton
Built-Up Area: Wath upon Dearne
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Swinton St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK49NE SWINTON CHURCH STREET
(north side, off)
6/25 Church of St. Margaret
Church. Tower 1817; the rest rebuilt 1899 by E. Isle Hubbard following
a fire of 1897. Ashlar-sandstone tower; otherwise coursed, squared
sandstone with red tile roofs. 3-stage west tower; 6-bay aisled nave
with additional bay overlapping tower; lower 2-bay chancel with north
chapel and gabled, 2-storey, vestry projection to south. Gothic revival
style. Tower: offset angle buttresses rise as pinnacles above embattled
parapet. String course at each stage. Pointed arch to west door;
intersecting glazing bars to overlight; pointed hoodmould beneath flat-
headed hoodmould. 2-light window to 2nd stage with Y-tracery. Similar
2-light belfry openings with louvres, inset clockfaces and hoodmoulds.
Nave: offset buttresses between aisle bays. Aisles and clerestorey have
coupled, pointed windows with shared hoodmoulds; floral- and head-carved
hoodstops. Moulded kneelers and gable copings with cross. Chancel in
same style. Vestry with priest door to left of 3-light window; stepped
3-light window over. East window of 5 stepped lights.
Interior: beneath tower: 2 panelled doors in reeded architraves; date
plaque records rebuilding. Nave: circular piers and moulded capitals
to double-chamfered arcades; hoodmoulds spring from carved corbels from
which attached columns rise to corbels of hammer-beam trusses. Aisle
windows have central colonnettes to cusped-headed inner lights. 4-bay
blind-arcaded panel over tower door. Tall, double-chamfered chancel arch,
2-bay arcade to north chapel.
Listing NGR: SK4521099367
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings