This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4085 / 53°24'30"N
Longitude: -1.3326 / 1°19'57"W
OS Eastings: 444466
OS Northings: 390395
OS Grid: SK444903
Mapcode National: GBR MY40.9V
Mapcode Global: WHDDK.HLNB
Entry Name: Newman School
Listing Date: 19 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314598
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335671
Location: Rotherham, S60
Electoral Ward/Division: Sitwell
Built-Up Area: Rotherham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Whiston St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK49SW ROTHERHAM EAST BAWTRY ROAD
5/39 Newman School
Open-air school. 1939 by Geoffrey Raven (local authority architect).
Cement-rendered walls, asphalt roofs. 7 separate classrooms linked by an
arcuate corridor; L-shaped administration and service block to right with
taller assembly hall to its left in rear angle with corridor. Single storey
apart from 2-storey service wing. In International Modern Movement style.
Round-ended wings; iron casements and matching glazed doors; flat roofs with
oversailing eaves. Classrooms: rectangular with front corner piers and glazing
on 3 sides, continuous canopy and clerestorey lights beneath eaves. Infill
between each classroom has 5 small windows and roof at canopy level.
Administration wing: set on slope and with classroom in front end of projection;
main entrance in right return flanked by round-ended piers to canopy. Purpose-
built for delicate children and to accommodate some physically-handicapped and
partially-sighted children; now primarily for the handicapped. The setting of
the south-facing classrooms allows maximum sunlight, the glazed panels originally
all openable for maximum ventilation. The linking corridor to rear was formerly
open on the north side but is now glazed. Completed in 1939 the building
served wartime purposes before the first children were admitted in 1948.
Officially opened 21st October 1949 and named after Sir George Newman, Chief
Medical Officer to the Ministry of Health (1919-35) and to the Board of Education
(1907-35) and a powerful advocate of open-air schools.
Listing NGR: SK4446690395
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings