This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4583 / 53°27'29"N
Longitude: -1.345 / 1°20'41"W
OS Eastings: 443588
OS Northings: 395928
OS Grid: SK435959
Mapcode National: GBR MX1G.L0
Mapcode Global: WHDDC.9BRM
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 8 October 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314612
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335527
Location: Rotherham, S62
Electoral Ward/Division: Rawmarsh
Built-Up Area: Rawmarsh
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Rawmarsh with Parkgate
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK49NW RAWMARSH HIGH STREET
5/18 Church of St. Mary
Church. Rebuilt 1839 by J. P. Pritchett; tower rebuilt 1869
incorporating remains of an C11 or C12 doorway; chancel extended,
organ-chamber and vestry added c1896 by Platts of Rotherham (Cater,
p13). Coursed, squared sandstone, Welsh slate roof. West tower,
4-bay nave with aisles, lower single-bay apsidal chancel with north
organ chamber and south vestry. Gothic revival, largely in Early
Tower: 3 stages. Heavily-restored Norman south door with 3 orders
of colonnettes within recess. Stair-turret to south-west corner.
2-light window to 2nd stage. Paired belfry openings with louvres
and hoodmoulds. Clock beneath quatrefoil-pierced parapet. 8
Nave: buttresses to angles and between bays. Chamfered band beneath
coupled lancets, hoodmoulds with carved-head stops. Groups of 3 lancets
to each bay of clerestorey.
Chancel: angle buttresses. Vestry gabled and at right angles to
chancel with group of 3 lancets beneath corbelled parapet with gable
cross. East window of 3 lights above apron with blind quatrefoils.
Corbel-table to coped gable with cross.
Interior: nave arcades double-chamfered, octagonal piers.
Chancel arch: tripartite responds and carved capitals to moulded arch.
Decorative roof trusses with cusped-headed panels. Brass dated 1616
to south of chancel arch: to John Darley of Kilnhurst, depicts 4 sons
and 4 daughters kneeling before his coffin. Wall monument dated 1667
in north aisle: to Maria, daughter of Thomas Wentworth; inscribed plaque
flanked by Corinthian columns beneath broken pediment with heraldic device.
Cross base and shaft beneath tower, probably C12 (Ryder).
P. M. Cater, A History of St. Mary's Church Rawmarsh, 1981.
P. F. Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, 1982, pp116-117.
Listing NGR: SK4359095927
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings