History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Marys Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rawmarsh, Rotherham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4583 / 53°27'29"N

Longitude: -1.3443 / 1°20'39"W

OS Eastings: 443634

OS Northings: 395926

OS Grid: SK436959

Mapcode National: GBR MX1G.R0

Mapcode Global: WHDDC.BB3N

Entry Name: St Marys Rectory

Listing Date: 8 October 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314613

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335529

Location: Rotherham, S62

County: Rotherham

Electoral Ward/Division: Rawmarsh

Built-Up Area: Rawmarsh

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Rawmarsh with Parkgate

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Rotherham

Listing Text

RAWMARSH

451/5/20 HIGH STREET
08-OCT-1962 (East side)
ST MARYS RECTORY

II*

Rectory, now unoccupied. 1752, altered 1797 and 1820 with later C19
alterations and additions. Built for Christopher Stephenson, Rector,
possibly to the designs of James Paine. Coursed, dressed sandstone,
Welsh slate roof. 3-bay, gabled, entrance front with added porch and late C19 wing set back to left. 2 storeys with partial attic. Plinth, central bay breaks
forward. Central single-storey porch with panelled double doors in
Tudor-arched opening flanked by part-ribbed Doric columns. Cornice
with Latin inscription beneath panel with cross. Coped gable with
fleur-de-lys finial. Flanking bays have ground floor sill band; bay 1
window boarded; bay 3 window blind. Central 1st-floor Venetian window
(boarded) in round-arched recess. Bay 1 window part boarded; bay 3
window blind; band set above outer sills. Central bay has small attic
sash beneath pediment; half-pediments to outer bays (all raking cornices
missing). Corniced stack to right of central bay. Late C19 wing set
back to left has projecting lateral stack; extruded corner in angle with
main range has sashes. Right return: early C19 stuccoed, curved bay with
2 windows to ground floor, 1st-floor band and 4 sashes to 1st floor. To
right 2 sashes with glazing bars to each floor. All ground-floor windows
boarded.

Interior: extensively vandalised at time of resurvey.


Listing NGR: SK4365195877

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.