History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Firbeck Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Firbeck, Rotherham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.393 / 53°23'34"N

Longitude: -1.1502 / 1°9'0"W

OS Eastings: 456608

OS Northings: 388797

OS Grid: SK566887

Mapcode National: GBR NYD6.SF

Mapcode Global: WHDDN.9ZJ7

Entry Name: Firbeck Hospital

Listing Date: 29 July 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314615

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335766

Location: Firbeck, Rotherham, S81

County: Rotherham

Civil Parish: Firbeck

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Firbeck with Letwell

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Blyth

Listing Text

FIRBECK NEW ROAD
SK58NE
(east side, off)
3/20 Firbeck Hospital
29.7.66 (formerly Firbeck Hall)

GV II

Country house known as Firbeck Hall now hospital. Probably late C16 core
remodelled mid C18 and with substantial early C19 additions, the whole applied
with shaped gables probably mid C19, interior remodelled 1935. C16 house for
William West, the C19 work for Henry Gally; 1935 interior by Robert Cawkwell
of Sheffield (Stocks pp 11-19). Ashlar limestone, graduated slate roofs. Original
house incorporated in C18 block: 2 storeys with attics, 3:2:3 x 2:3:2 bays.
Early C19 addition set back on right: 1/2-bay link to 2:3:2 bays the central bays
canted; 1-storey canted-bay projection on far right with 3-storey, 2-bay block
set well back the front angle infilled by flat-roofed addition. C19 ranges
enclose courtyard to rear entered via archway on right return. C18 block: moulded
plinth. Central recess has entrance with C20 double door and fanlight in C19
Doric portico with double keystone to round arch, narrow flanking sashes,
entablature. All other bays on ground and 1st floors have unequally-hung 15-
pane sashes in architraves with moulded sills and small keystones. Deep eaves
band beneath 3 shaped gables, the outer ones with cavetto-moulded 2-light mullioned
windows beneath arrow slits, central gable is smaller and has single-light window
and flagpole. Early C19 bays on right: chamfered plinth, rougher stonework.
Sashes with glazing bars in raised ashlar surrounds, 2nd-floor sashes of 6 panes.
Canted-bay projection has pyramidal corbelling to a flat-fronted, shaped gable
with arrowslit; flanking bays each with smaller matching gable as has front panel
of 1-storey canted-bay projection on eight. Stepped gable to 2 bays set back
on right. Several ridge stacks with moulded plinths to the whole range. Rear:
chamfered plinth and large quoins to older walling now partly rendered; unequally-
hung 28-pane sashes with architraves as front; on left are old cavetto-moulded
cross-windows on 2 floors beneath dripstones. Left return: projecting outer
bays incorporate large quoins to older walling rising to 2 storeys, central
recess with scrolled architrave to segmentally-pedimented doorway; bays on right
marred by C20 addition and fire escape; 24-pane sashes to 1st floor bays 1,
2 and 6. Right return: square turret with 4 shaped gables forms right flank
of courtyard archway having keyed archivolt surmounted by draped cartouche beneath
phoenix (?). Interior: retains early-C19 service stair with square balusters
and turned newels, lantern over has radial glazing bars. Otherwise interior
of 1935 including period staircase. Firbeck estate purchased in late C16 by
William West, a lawyer of Moorgate Hall, Rotherham and Steward to the 5th Earl
of Shrewsbury and to the Manor of Sheffield at the time of Mary Queen of Scots'
imprisonment. Various changes of ownership in C18 before acquisition in early
C19 by Henry Gally of Langold. Gally had commissioned Sir Jeffry Wyatt to
build a house at Langold nearby but turned his efforts to Firbeck and carried
out major additions and modifications before his death in 1846. Converted to
a country club in 1935 but has served as a hospital from c1940 to present day.
C20 additions not of special interest. Known history fully detailed in:
C. Stocks, Firbeck and the Three Estates, 1979, pp 11-19.


Listing NGR: SK5660888797

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.