History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wellgate Old Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Boston Castle, Rotherham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4281 / 53°25'41"N

Longitude: -1.3518 / 1°21'6"W

OS Eastings: 443164

OS Northings: 392558

OS Grid: SK431925

Mapcode National: GBR MX0S.4V

Mapcode Global: WHDDK.63J9

Entry Name: Wellgate Old Hall

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314625

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335714

Location: Rotherham, S60

County: Rotherham

Electoral Ward/Division: Boston Castle

Built-Up Area: Rotherham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Rotherham

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Rotherham

Listing Text

SK4392 ROTHERHAM WELLGATE
(west side)
10/78 Nos 120-126 (even)
(Wellgate Old Hall)
19.10.51
II
House. Late C17 (the date 1679 noted on restoration plaque of 1979). Coursed
rubble sandstone, C20 cement-tile roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays with central 3-bay
pediment. Large quoins. Tall, double-chamfered, mullioned windows with
C20 casements. C20 double door to bay 2 has weathered moulding to
quoined jambs. 2-light windows to central bays, 3-light windows to end bays.
lst-floor band forms door lintel. lst-floor windows as ground floor.
Eaves cornice. Pediment springs from ashlar brackets, moulded architrave to
oculus in tympanum. Hipped roof. Rear: as front, unrestored ground-floor windows
have dripstones; no lst-floor band.
C20 interior. Formerly had large fireplace arch; Tudor-arched fireplace now
displayed in forecourt. Occupies important manorial site possibly associated
with St. James' Chapel that was situated opposite. Reused timbers from building
tree-ring dated to 1479 (Ryder).
P. F. Ryder, notes in County Ancient Monuments and Sites Record, Sheffield,
primary index no 795.


Listing NGR: SK4316492558

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.