History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Stable and Coachhouse Buildings at Langold

A Grade II* Listed Building in Letwell, Rotherham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3726 / 53°22'21"N

Longitude: -1.1441 / 1°8'38"W

OS Eastings: 457039

OS Northings: 386529

OS Grid: SK570865

Mapcode National: GBR NYGF.3R

Mapcode Global: WHDDV.DHDC

Entry Name: Old Stable and Coachhouse Buildings at Langold

Listing Date: 29 May 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314640

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335792

Location: Letwell, Rotherham, S81

County: Rotherham

Civil Parish: Letwell

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Firbeck with Letwell

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Blyth

Listing Text

LETWELL
SK58NE
3/44 Old stable and coachhouse
29.5.66 buildings at Langold

GV II*

Stable and coach-house block now farmbuildings and 1 dwelling (unoccupied at
time of resurvey). Mid C18 (pre 1768). Probably by Ralph Knight for his own
estate (Hunter, p229). Thinly-coursed, squared limestone, Westmorland slate
roof. U-shaped courtyard plan open-sided to the south, in classical style.
2 storeys. Main (east) facade: 5 bays; end and central bays project slightly.
Plinth. Central bay as a pedimented portico with rusticated quoins and continuous
impost band to tall round arch with keystone. Round-arched panels to outer
bays have ashlar surrounds to square windows beneath each arch, bays 1 and 2
have casements with glazing bars, bays 4 and 5 boarded. Eaves cornice to
hipped roof. C20 brick stacks flank bay 2. Rear of this part has matching
pedimented portico with Diocletian window in tympanum. Its left return 2 infilled
round arches to carriage houses now a dwelling. Rear range elevation: 1:2:3:2
bays with link block masking right end bay. Pedimented 3-bay part in line with
front arch has door with consoled cornice in round-arched panel; flanking door-
ways, that on left walled-up; 3 square windows to 1st floor; blocked Diocletian
window in tympanum. Left return: 2 rebated, round-arched carriage-house entrances.
Link block south elevation: round-arched waggon entrance to pedimented central
part; cruciform slit vents to right and to 1st floor. Outstanding range of
buildings remaining from the grand scheme for Langold proposed by Ralph Knight
but left incomplete after his death in 1768. Attached farmbuildings of later
date not of special interest.
J. Hunter, South Yorkshire: The History and Topography of the Deanery of Doncaster
1828-31.


Listing NGR: SK5703986529

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.