This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3614 / 53°21'41"N
Longitude: -1.2967 / 1°17'47"W
OS Eastings: 446904
OS Northings: 385182
OS Grid: SK469851
Mapcode National: GBR MYDK.2Q
Mapcode Global: WHDDS.1RTX
Entry Name: Aughton Court
Listing Date: 29 March 1968
Last Amended: 1 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314660
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335896
Location: Aston cum Aughton, Rotherham, S26
Civil Parish: Aston cum Aughton
Built-Up Area: Swallownest
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Aston cum Aughton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
ASTON-CUM-AUGHTON WORKSOP ROAD
(south side, off)
(formerly listed as
(Aughton Court) Hospital)
Country house originally known as Aston Hall, undergoing conversion to
nursing home at time of resurvey. c1772 by John Carr for Lord Holderness,
with staircase of 1776-7 by John Platt of Rotherham far Harry Verelst;
service wing of 1825. Ashlar limestone Westmorland slate roof. 3 storeys,
2:3:2 x 5 bays with 2-storey, 5-bay service wing on right. Main range:
central 3 bays form canted full-height bay. Plinth, Rusticated basement has
central 10-panel door and 6-pane sashes all with rusticated flat arches.
Piano nobile: deep band; balustraded aprons and sill band to sashes with
glazing bars in architraves with pulvinated friezes and cornices, the central
window with consoled pediment. Attic: 6-pane sashes in architraves.
Modillioned cornice to hipped roof with ashlar stacks flanking the central
projection. Service wing: sashed with glazing bars having projecting sills
and flat arches. lst-floor band and sill band continuous from main range:
taller sashes to upper floor; eaves cornice to hipped roof with C20 stacks to
rear. Rear of main range: as front but without emphasis to central bays.
Left return: bay 1 window walled-up; bays 2 and 4 have French windows; bay 3
window partly infilled; lst-floor windows shored up.
Interior: Doric-columned entrance hall with side-wall fireplace and
handrail; wall panels; Ionic 1st-floor screen. Library to rear centre has
bookcases in Adam style. 1st floor; room above library has pedimented
doorcase flanked by arched recesses, dado rail and enriched cornice. Room
across left side of house with oak floor, 2 Rococo-style wooden fireplaces
and enriched surrounds towall and ceiling panels with corner shells. 2nd
floor: landing with arcaded sides and round roof-light; several contemporary
fireplaces. Later additions not of special interest.
Lord Holderness, Secretary of state for the North 1751-61, had the old house
of the D'Arcy family pulled down to build the present structure. He chose
not to occupy the house but let it to Harry Verelst, former Governor of
Bengal and one-time assistant to Clive of India. Verelst purchased the house
in 1774-5 and had Platt insert the present staircase; his family erected the
service wing in 1825 and at the same time had Carr's original external
entrance stair to the piano nobile removed.
M. and R. B. Wragg, 'Two Houses by Carr of York', Country Life, April 12th
Listing NGR: SK4688985188
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings