This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4211 / 53°25'16"N
Longitude: -1.2074 / 1°12'26"W
OS Eastings: 452767
OS Northings: 391883
OS Grid: SK527918
Mapcode National: GBR NX0W.DB
Mapcode Global: WHDDM.F88M
Entry Name: Church of Saint Bartholomew
Listing Date: 13 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314662
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335917
Location: Maltby, Rotherham, S66
Civil Parish: Maltby
Built-Up Area: Maltby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Maltby
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
MALTBY CHURCH LANE
3/42 Church of
Church. C11 and C15 tower, otherwise 1859 by P. Boyce. Magnesian limestone
laid in herringbone fashion to tower and as snecked rubble to C19 work,
ashlar spire; Welsh slate roof. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south
porch, 2-bay chancel with south vestry and north organ chamber projections.
C19 work in Gothic Revival style with geometrical tracery. Tower: Cll, 3
stages. Large sandstone quoins, partly replaced in limestone; C19 four-light
west window with trefoiled lights; original round-headed openings to north
and south now blind; band and offset to 2nd stage having round-headed windows
to 3 sides; band and offset beneath altered 2-light belfry openings with C15
cusped heads, upper part of 3rd stage rebuilt C15 and given oversailing,
embattled parapet and recessed octagonal spire pierced by quatrefoils and
with small lucarnes. Nave: south porch on left with clasping buttresses
flanking a trefoil-headed doorway beneath coped gable. Aisle on right has
moulded plinth and sill band to quoined 2-light windows with foiled lights;
gable copings. Chancel: lower. Angle buttresses flank 5-light east window
with hoodmould. Stepped lancet to bay 2 on south; gabled vestry projection
on its left has buttresses flanking a circular, plate tracery window in
pointed recess. North organ chamber, as vestry, has eastern lean-to with
shouldered-arched door. Gable copings with east cross.
Interior: C19 moulded tower arch. Aisle arcades have cylindrical piers,
moulded capitals and chamfered arches of 2 orders. Chancel arch: keel-
moulded, of 2 orders, hoodmould with head-carved stops; double-chamfered arch
into organ chamber; 2 trefoil-headed arches to vestry beneath chamfered arch.
Sedilia: 3 seats divided by slender shafts to stepped-lancet head.
Font: late medieval octagonal bowl on later shaft.
Monuments: late C18 wall monuments beneath tower, 3 have broken pediments, 1
as a cartouche, the other a corniced panel with flat obelisk. Brasses in
vestry to William Fretwell (d1700) and John Fretwell (1725); wall plaque to
Thomas Fretwell (d1753).
P. F. Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, County Archaeology Monograph
No 2, 1982, p84-87.
Listing NGR: SK5276791883
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings