This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4062 / 53°24'22"N
Longitude: -1.1455 / 1°8'43"W
OS Eastings: 456901
OS Northings: 390269
OS Grid: SK569902
Mapcode National: GBR NYF1.SP
Mapcode Global: WHDDN.CNR3
Entry Name: Sandbeck Park (House)
Listing Date: 13 November 1959
Last Amended: 1 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314665
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335930
Location: Maltby, Rotherham, S66
Civil Parish: Maltby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Maltby
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
MALTBY SANDBECK PARK
4/55 Sandbeck Park (house)
13.11.59 (formerly listed as
Country house. Core of c1626 encased and extended c1760 by James Paine for
the 4th Earl of Scarbrough; later additions, interior remodelling of 1857 by
William Burn for the 9th Earl. Ashlar magnesian limestone, roof not visible.
3 storeys with basement, 9 x 5 bays. In Palladian style. Entrance front to
west: 1:2:3:2:1 bays, the central and outer bays breaking forward. Single-
storey C19 entrance hall in extension from centre has vestibule of 1906 with
Doric portico beneath central pediment with arms in tympanum flanked by
shield-bearing griffins; rebated, rounded front corners; balustraded parapet
with ball finials having bands. 3-bay returns with 4-pane sashes flanking
pilastered central bays which break forward. Main range has plinth and
rusticated ground floor; sashes with glazing bars beneath flat arches.
Attached to the front left corner is a balustrade which screens remains of
the basement wall of the C19 service wing. lst floor: moulded string courses
and moulded sill band to taller sashes with glazing bars, the outer bays with
balustraded aprons and corniced architraves, the others with cornices only.
Taller, round-headed central window with pilasters and archivolt.
2nd floor: 6-pane sashes, the central 3 windows smaller. Modillioned cornice
rising as pediments over central and outer bays, the central tympanum with
pelican carved on a medallion. Balustraded parapet with C20 fibreglass urns.
Tall corniced stacks flank the 2-bay recesses. Rear least front): basement
storey with rack-faced rustication and 6-pane sashes. Outer bays as front
but with corniced architraves to all lst-f1oor windows, bays 1 and 9 with
consoles. Central pediment extended aver a Corinthian portico having
balustraded quadrant staircases rising to an arcaded loggia with round arches
having shaped keystones 1st-floor string course and balustraded plinth
beneath giant columns rising to a pedimented entablature bearing carving by
William Collins of Ceres resting on the Lumley arms. Right return (south
front): 1:3:1 bays, the central 3 bays canted and with taller ground-floor
sashes, the central bay with open segmental pediment; sash above with
corniced architrave, the others plain.
Interior: illustrated and described at length elsewhere (Girouard, 1965).
Cantilevered stone staircase, off the entrance hall, has curved iron
balusters and wreathed wooden handrail; compartmented ceiling above. Room to
ground-floor right (originally the sitting room) has fireplace with caryatids
and relief tablet beneath cornice. Dining room to centre rear with C19
scheme including Ionic screen and heavy cornice. Of particular interest is
the central C17 lst-floor gallery extending the full depth of the house with
C18 scheme by James Paine having Ionic-columned fireplace with pastoral scene
on tablet attributed to William Collins; 4 ornate doorcases; outstanding
coved ceiling with Rococo and Neo-Classical motifs thought to be by Joseph
Rose the elder. Bedrooms flanking the gallery each have a segmentally-arched
bed recess flanked by Ionic columns and panelled doors.
The 1st recorded house at Sandbeck was built in 1626 for Sir Nicholas
Saunderson. Sandbeck passed to Thomas Lumley later 3rd Earl of
Scarbrough who died in 1752. The 4th Earl employed Paine to remodel the C17
house thus incorporating the lst-floor gallery unusual in a house of the mid
C18. A C19 service wing linking the house to Sandbeck Chapel (q.v.) was
demolished in 1954.
T. W. Beastall, A North Country Estate, 1974.
M. Girouard, 'Sandbeck Park, Yorkshire I-III', Country Life, Oct 7th, 14th,
N. Pevsner, B.O.E., 1967 ed, p429-430.
Listing NGR: SK5690190269
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings