This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4095 / 53°24'34"N
Longitude: -1.1341 / 1°8'2"W
OS Eastings: 457660
OS Northings: 390648
OS Grid: SK576906
Mapcode National: GBR NYJ0.8H
Mapcode Global: WHDDN.KK6K
Entry Name: Folds Cottages and Attached Outbuildings
Listing Date: 13 November 1959
Last Amended: 1 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314687
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335941
Location: Maltby, Rotherham, DN11
Civil Parish: Maltby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Tickhill St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
MALTBY SANDBECK PARK
4/66 Folds Cottages and
13.11.59 attached outbuildings
(formerly listed as
House now 2 unoccupied cottages with attached outbuildings partly in the
parish of Tickhill. 1750 by Mr. Platt for Lord Scarborough (Beastall, P83),
Ashlar and coursed rubble magnesian limestone; Westmoreland slate, Welsh slate
and pantile roofs. T-shaped; 2-storey, 3-bay house with 1-storey, 1-bay side
pavilions in Palladian style; rear angles of main range infilled by 2-storey
outshuts (not of special interest); pavilions linked by walls to 1-storey, 3-
bay outbuildings of c1750 facing onto rear garden. Main house, west front:
plinth, rusticated ground floor. Raised central panel with steps to door
beneath flat arch and modillioned cornice, Outer bays have boarded-up
windows with voussoirs of flat arches aligned with courses, window on right
is narrower. 1st floor: deep band linked to sill band by plain window
aprons; central Ionic Venetian window with moulded sill, pilasters and
pulvinated frieze, windows to outer bays have moulded sills, shouldered
architraves, pulvinated friezes and cornices. Cornice and blocking course to
hipped roof. Side pavilions set back, each have: rusticated quoins and
square-faced surround with keystone to semi-domed niche; eaves cornice and
blocking course to hipped roof with ridge stack. Rear: wing has quoined
rubble walling and round-headed window on each floor, eaves band and cornice;
rendered stacks to eaves of main range. Pair of outbuildings to rear left
and rear right attached by coped walls with gateways each have central bay
breaking forward with door and adjoining windows in raised ashlar surrounds,
outer bays with similar doorways, hipped roof. Rear-right outbuilding
incorporates later brick lean-to (not of special interest).
Interior: in poor condition at tine of resurvey. Central imperial staircase
now divided by partition wall, remains of original wrought-iron handrail.
Ground-floor room on left has crinoidal limestone fireplace with fluted
keystone on lintel set beneath a scroll-topped plaster overmantel, remains of
plaster wall panels and of enriched cornice to decorative ceiling (mostly
collapsed) having acanthus corner motifs. lst floor: subdivided single room
with fragment of original plain coving. Said to have been built for Lord
Scarbrough's chaplain although the staircase and upper room suggest a grander
Accounts of John Billam, Estate Steward, note that in 1750 stone was being
lead to build a new house the Folds and that Mr. Platt was paid £50 on
account in the same year. Mr. Platt is no doubt George Platt of Rotherham
and this building is of particular interest in that it predates the
involvement of James Paine with the Sandbeck estate.
T. W. Beastall, A North Country Estate, 1974.
Listing NGR: SK5766090648
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings