History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dissenters Chapel and Former Minster's House at Bullhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Penistone, Barnsley

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5201 / 53°31'12"N

Longitude: -1.6827 / 1°40'57"W

OS Eastings: 421136

OS Northings: 402653

OS Grid: SE211026

Mapcode National: GBR JWPQ.HV

Mapcode Global: WHCBP.3SZ8

Entry Name: Dissenters Chapel and Former Minster's House at Bullhouse

Listing Date: 23 June 1965

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314708

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334060

Location: Penistone, Barnsley, S36

County: Barnsley

Civil Parish: Penistone

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Thurlstone St Saviour

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Langsett

Listing Text

PENISTONE WANCHESTER ROAD
SE20SW
(west side, off),
Millhouse
3/30 Dissenters Chapel and
23rd June 1965 former Minster's house
at Bullhouse

GV II

Non-conformist chapel (formerly Presbyterian). Dated 1692, cottage slightly
later. For Elkanah Rich of Bullhouse Hall. Deeply-coursed stone. Stone
slate roof. Rectangular plan of single storey, 5 bays with 2-storey cottage
attached to rear right. Chamfered plinth. Central gabled porch whose
entrance has elliptical head and moulded surround. The inner doorway has a
shallow segmental head with inscribed keystone:
"APRIL
18 ANOD
1692"
Heavy, 4-panel, double studded door. Double-chamfered cross-windows to each
side with round-arched lights and sunken spandrels. Later buttress between
bays 4 and 5. Moulded eaves cornice, moulded gable copings on cut kneelers.
Ball finials to apexes. Rear elevation plain. Left return: a 3 + 3 light
transomed window. Right return: two cross-windows detailed as front; the
cottage is set back slightly and has a 2-light window to each floor,
detailed as before. The entrance is within a later lean-to addition to right
side, with a 4-panel door.

Interior: plaster ceiling. Three cased tie-beams braced to short wall posts
on stone corbels. Hexagonal panelled pulpit, probably original, with tester.
C19 pews. Panelled dado probably made from earlier pews. The minster's
house has C19 or early C20 fittings including a fold-down stair.

C. Stell, "Bullhouse Chapel, Penistone", Archaelooical Journal, Vol 137,
1980, p99.


Listing NGR: SE2113602653

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.