History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Hallows

A Grade II Listed Building in High Hoyland, Barnsley

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5916 / 53°35'29"N

Longitude: -1.5866 / 1°35'11"W

OS Eastings: 427463

OS Northings: 410636

OS Grid: SE274106

Mapcode National: GBR KVCX.97

Mapcode Global: WHCBB.LZQH

Entry Name: Church of All Hallows

Listing Date: 18 March 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314746

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334268

Location: High Hoyland, Barnsley, S75

County: Barnsley

Civil Parish: High Hoyland

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Clayton West with High Hoyland All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Skelmanthorpe

Listing Text


SE 2711 HIGH HOYLAND CHURCH LANE
(East side)

7/141 Church of All Hallows
18.3.68

GV II

Church. Tower dated 1679, the rest of the church 1904-8 by C Hodgson Fowler.
Coursed dressed stone. Stone slate roof. West tower, 3-bay nave with lean-
to south porch at west end, 2-bay chancel with short gabled transepts that to
south with door. Short 2-stage Perpendicular tower with diagonal buttresses.
Tansomed, 2-light bell-chamber openings with traceried heads and relief
carving to spandrels. A plaque on the south side reads:

"This steeple was
built AD 1679
John Moor Mason
Tho. Hawksworth
Carpenter
Gloria Deo Soli".

3-light west window. Crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles (restored).
2- and 3-light square-headed nave and chancel windows with hoodmoulds and
cusped lights. 3-light east window with pointed arch.

Interior: Narrow, aisle-less nave with wagon roof. At west end of north
wall are the remains (part obscured) of a C13 or C14 arch from an earlier
building. Several Saxon Fragments attached to north wall including parts of
cross heads, etc.

N Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967

P F Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, (for The South Yorkshire County
Archaeology Service), 1982


Listing NGR: SE2746310636

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.