This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5735 / 53°34'24"N
Longitude: -0.986 / 0°59'9"W
OS Eastings: 467241
OS Northings: 409022
OS Grid: SE672090
Mapcode National: GBR PWK3.BQ
Mapcode Global: WHFF2.TFNT
Entry Name: Mortuary Chapel at Hatfield Cemetery
Listing Date: 29 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334605
Location: Hatfield, Doncaster, DN7
Civil Parish: Hatfield
Built-Up Area: Dunscroft
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hatfield St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
HATFIELD CEMETERY ROAD
SE 60 NE
(west eider off)
11/30 Mortuary Chapel at
Mortuary chapel. 1884 by Edwin Dolby of Abingdon (Kelly's Directory p.450)
Thinly-coursed, rock-faced sandstone with ashlar limestone dressings;
graduated Westmorland slate roof. Single-storey, single-cell; sides
symmetrical with gabled entrances, eastern apse; Gothic Revival stifle.
South side: entrance gable breaks forward and has chamfered plinth and
moulded band continuing round apse on right. Moulded, pointed-arched doorway
with hoodmould returning to link to gable kneelers; blank shield over arch
with embattled string to each side. To left end a diagonal buttress with
2 single-light windows on its right having cusped panelled heads beneath
square hoodmoulds linked to eaves cornice. Apse on right of doorway has
similar windows of 2-lights set beneath higher eaves. Ashlar copings to left
(west) gable with ashlar end stack set to rear of ridge. Octagonal flèche on
ridge above doorway with cusped side openings and leaded roof with
weathervane. Left return (west end): 3-light window with cambered head.
Interior; plain brick with ashlar dressings; exposed queen-post trusses.
Edwin Dolby was also the architect responsible for the 1862 restoration of
Thorne Church of St. Nicholas (q.v.).
Kelly's Directory, West Riding, 1889.
Listing NGR: SE6724109022
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings