This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4839 / 53°29'2"N
Longitude: -0.9926 / 0°59'33"W
OS Eastings: 466948
OS Northings: 399052
OS Grid: SK669990
Mapcode National: GBR PXH4.XT
Mapcode Global: WHFFG.QPJH
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 4 June 1986
Last Amended: 11 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314817
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334766
Location: Finningley, Doncaster, DN9
Civil Parish: Finningley
Built-Up Area: Finningley
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Finningley
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK69NE FINNINGLEY RECTORY LANE
(south side, off)
8/65 The Old Rectory
4 June 1986 (formerly listed as
being on Bawtry Road)
Rectory, unoccupied at time of resurvey (1987). 1704 for Rev. George
Barniston (Woodhouse, pp 25-26); aid C19 addition now reduced in size.
Cement rendered, the C19 addition in yellow brick; Welsh slate roofs.
H-shaped plan. 2-storey, 5-bay C18 range with central rear wing forming link
to 2-storey-and-attic C19 range set parallel to front. C18 facade (south
front): ashlar and rendered plinth; central part-glazed door beneath
pedimented hood on consoles; projecting stone sills to sashes with glazing
bars in flush wooden architraves; shouldered, yellow-brick end stacks. Left
return: C18 gable has weathered date plaque reading 'George/B..../Rector/
1704'. Flat-roofed C19 porch on left has Tudor-arched doorway with
hoodmould; above porch the wing has an unequally-hung 15-pane sash window.
Gabled mid-C19 wing on left: chamfered plinth; chamfered, quoined stone
surrounds to mullioned and transomed wooden casements, of 3 lights to ground
floor and of 2 lights to 1st floor and attic. Large kneelers and ashlar
gable copings with apex finials; brick stacks at junction with C18 range on
right. Right return: C19 wing has a canted bay window to ground floor,
otherwise as other gable.
Interior: ground-floor room on left of C18 facade has iron firebasket in pine
surround with pulvinated frieze and cornice.
Rev. G. A. Woodhouse, Finingley, 1877.
Listing NGR: SK6694899049
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.