History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Armthorpe, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.537 / 53°32'13"N

Longitude: -1.0631 / 1°3'47"W

OS Eastings: 462192

OS Northings: 404891

OS Grid: SE621048

Mapcode National: GBR PW0J.NT

Mapcode Global: WHFF7.MCZ9

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 5 June 1968

Last Amended: 11 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314821

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334699

Location: Armthorpe, Doncaster, DN3

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Armthorpe

Built-Up Area: Armthorpe

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Armthorpe St Leonard and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Armthorpe

Listing Text

SOUTH YORKSHIRE
DONCASTER
5096
SE60SW ARMTHORPE CHURCH STREET
(south side)
3/1 Church of St. Mary
5th June 1968 (formerly listed as
Church of St. Leonard).
- II
Church. C11, C12 and C15 restored and extended 1885 for patron Lord Auckland
of Edenthorpe. Cement rendered, graduated slate roofs. 3-bay nave with
north aisle and west belfry, narrower 2-bay chancel with north chapel and C20
north vestry. Nave: exposed quoins. C19 porch on left has chamfered,
pointed arch with hoodmould beneath coped gable with cross; c1200 south
doorway within has old door beneath chamfered, 2-order round arch with
renewed shafts and plain hood. On left of porch is a restored, round-headed
slit window; on right a C15, cusped, square-headed 3-light window flanked by
C12 round-headed slit windows; to their right a square-headed, ogee-
traceried, single-light window. Ashlar gable copings with east cross; square
belfry with louvred sides and shingle-covered pyramidal roof. C19 west
window of 3 cusped lights beneath square head with hoodmould; gable slit.
Separately-roofed north aisle of 1885 has chamfered plinth and Tudor-arched,
3-light west window with hoodmould; square-headed north windows of 2 and 3
lights. Chancel: lower and with quoins as nave. Small priests door with
chamfered, quoined surround and ogee-soffit lintel; on its left a square-
headed, ogee-traceried, single-light window; on right a similar window of
2 lights. C19 east window of 3 lights with pointed, hollow-chamfered
surround and hoodmould; ashlar gable copings with cross. Chapel set back on
right has a square-headed 3-light window with cusping and hoodmould.
Interior: pointed medieval diaphragm arch on corbels beneath belfry; deep
embrasures to the Cl2 south windows. C19 north arcade with octagonal piers
and moulded capitals to double-chamfered arches. Chancel arch: probably C11;
plain round arch with chamfered imposts, that on south carved with crosses
and zig-zag motif; lancet-headed piscina with square bowl. Monuments: wall
monument in north aisle to George Cooke Yarborough of Streethorpe (d.1818);
grey marble panel with inscription on white tablet beneath cornice on
consoles, by Lockwood of Doncaster. Another to George Cooke of Carr House
(d.1892).


Listing NGR: SE6219204891

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.