History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old School House (Now Braithwell Darby and Joan Club and Wrvs Rooms)

A Grade II Listed Building in Braithwell, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4451 / 53°26'42"N

Longitude: -1.2019 / 1°12'6"W

OS Eastings: 453105

OS Northings: 394557

OS Grid: SK531945

Mapcode National: GBR NX1L.LR

Mapcode Global: WHDDF.HNWR

Entry Name: Old School House (Now Braithwell Darby and Joan Club and Wrvs Rooms)

Listing Date: 26 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314836

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334779

Location: Braithwell, Doncaster, S66

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Braithwell

Built-Up Area: Braithwell

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Braithwel St James

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Mexborough

Listing Text

BRAITHWELL HIGH STREET
SK59SW (east side)

8/4 Old School House (now
Braithwell Darby and
Joan Club and WRVS
rooms)

II


School house now meeting rooms. Dated 1693, altered. Founder John Bosvile.
Irregularly-coursed limestone rubble, pantile roof. 2 storeys, 2 bays; 1-
storey wing to rear left. Rusticated ashlar quoins. Central door in raised
and chamfered ashlar surround. Flanking bays have later sashes with
horizontal glazing bars. 1st floor: band beneath similar windows; central
ashlar plaque inscribed:
'In / Dei gloriam / Patriae Commodum / Hancce Scholam / Fundavit / Johan
Bosvile / 1693'
Shaped kneelers, roll-moulded gable copings; rebuilt brick end stacks. Rear:
on left of wing are C20 casements in ashlar surrounds to each floor (the
lower window now with concrete lintel). Right return: sundial set in wall on
left has iron gnomen and shield with lozenges and stars; blocked ashlar
window surround on right.
John Bosvile, a tanner of Wardsend in the Parish of Ecclesfield, gave a
plentiful endowment to the school which Miller (p248) notes was much reduced
by fraud and mismanagement.
E. Miller, The History and Antiquities of Doncaster, 1804.


Listing NGR: SK5310594557

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.