History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1 and 2, Clay Lane West

A Grade II Listed Building in Wheatley Hills & Intake, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5536 / 53°33'13"N

Longitude: -1.0905 / 1°5'25"W

OS Eastings: 460352

OS Northings: 406718

OS Grid: SE603067

Mapcode National: GBR NWTB.QV

Mapcode Global: WHFF1.6YZ3

Entry Name: 1 and 2, Clay Lane West

Listing Date: 4 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314877

English Heritage Legacy ID: 335013

Location: Doncaster, DN2

County: Doncaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Wheatley Hills & Intake

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Doncaster

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Wheatley Hills with Intake

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Barnby Dun

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25 July 2016.

SE 60 NW
2/10
4.5.88

TOWN OF DONCASTER
Long Sandall
CLAY LANE WEST
(south side)

No 1 and 2

II

(Formerly listed as: No 1 and 2 Clay Lane)

GV

Pair of semi-detached houses. 1867, designed by J Butterfield, built for Doncaster
Corporation. Red brick with ashlar dressing and slate roofs. Two storeys and two
bays each, with mirrored facades. No 1 to right has slightly off-centre 4-panelled
door and pointed overlight deeply recessed behind chamfered 4-centred arch. To
right is a narrow sash window with chamfered stone sill and lintel, and to left
is a 3-light timber mullion window with 2 pane sashes in similar surround. Similar
2-light window above in bargeboarded gable. Rest of first floor blind with over-
hanging eaves. Large T-plan ridge stack with dentilled top. Similar 2-light window
to first floor of right return. All windows below pointed brick relieving arches.
Rear elevation has gabled bay to right breaking forward with porch in the re-entrant
angle. This has brick four-centred arches to both sides and panelled door with
pointed overlight behind. Windows similar to front elevation. Interior simple
with stick baluster staircase. No 2 identical, except mirrored. Built as a pair
with Nos. 3 and 4. Listed for historic interest, as very early examples of council
housing. Source: Council Minutes 12 May 1867. Empty and derelict at time of
resurvey. Refurbished early C21.


Listing NGR: SE6035206718

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.