This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5226 / 53°31'21"N
Longitude: -1.1293 / 1°7'45"W
OS Eastings: 457821
OS Northings: 403230
OS Grid: SE578032
Mapcode National: GBR NWKP.9Z
Mapcode Global: WHDD2.MQFD
Entry Name: Hall Gate United Reformed Church
Listing Date: 5 September 1988
Last Amended: 3 August 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314879
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335022
Location: Doncaster, DN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town
Built-Up Area: Doncaster
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Doncaster St George
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/09/2012
SE 5703 SE
Hall Gate United Reformed Church
(Formerly listed as Hallgate Methodist Church, excluding C20 addition to front)
Non-Conformist chapel, 1804, originally independent but joined the Congregational Union in 1864, enlarged and considerably altered in 1874, some later alterations. Ashlar and coursed squared stone with ashlar and polished granite dressing, Welsh slate roof. Two storeys and three bays by five bays. Ground floor; projects and has deep moulded plinth. Steps to paired central doors; doors which are elaborately panelled with 3-pane overlights above, are set in roll-moulded polished granite surrounds within pilastered ashlar doorcase which has side scrolls to base, carved consoles supporting frieze with triglyphs and medallions, below shallow opening with projecting sill. Entablature with moulded cornice and parapet with moulded copings and balustraded panels. First floor has rusticated quoins and 3 tall semi-circular headed margin glazed sash windows in pilastered surround with archivolts and radiating voussoir over. Entablature has triglyphed frieze hung with guttae and modillioned cornice. Balustraded parapet with moulded plinth and copings, flanked by square end piers with moulded cornices and with central tall panel inscribed 'Congregational', flanked by paired pilasters with moulded cornices and blocking courses. Side elevation to west has 5 fixed 12-pane windows to ground and first floors below incised wedge lintels, also plain first-floor band. Interior has entrance hall to front with stick baluster staircases to eitherside with large carved newels. Inside of church has curved gallery all round, with panelled front, on thin iron columns. Full-height segmental arch to half domed chancel bay, flanked to either side at gallery level by moulded semi-circular headed doorways. Arched braced roof. Original panelled pine pews and pulpit.
Listing NGR: SE5782103230
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings