History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former House to West of Low Orterley Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Bilsdale Midcable, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3779 / 54°22'40"N

Longitude: -1.1417 / 1°8'30"W

OS Eastings: 455848

OS Northings: 498387

OS Grid: SE558983

Mapcode National: GBR NKGT.MD

Mapcode Global: WHD80.F7K4

Entry Name: Former House to West of Low Orterley Farmhouse

Listing Date: 30 October 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314893

English Heritage Legacy ID: 333080

Location: Bilsdale Midcable, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, TS9

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Bilsdale Midcable

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Bilsdale Priory St Hilda

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Chop Gate

Listing Text

BILSDALE MIDCABLE ORTERLEY
SE 59 NE
16/22 Former house to
west of Low
Orterley Farmhouse
II
Part of house, now used as workshop attached at north end of later
barn. Probably circa 1600 with alterations circa 1700 and later.
Roughly-tooled squared sandstone, with smaller stones above, in
right bay; more evenly-coursed in left bay (probably part of c.1700
changes). Pantiled roof with stone coping, kneelers and stack.
1 storey and loft, 2 bays, irregular. Small fire window at right,
small window at left and another above it. Entrance on right gable
end; boarded door with small Yorkshire sash to left and blocked
chamfered window above. Corniced end chimney.
Interior: bays divided by a full cruck truss with "type C" apex
(high saddle) fairly low collar and low tie from which the cut-off
joists of the original first floor project. A buttress on the
opposite (south) wall may have supported the floor. In the same
wall an inset trough and a cupboard recess. The cruck truss has
been underbuilt in stone at some later date, making a complete
division between the two bays. The north bay shows the original
chamfered beam of the open fire area, and chamfered joists. Within
the fire area is a handsome moulded stone fireplace of circa 1700.


Listing NGR: SE5584898387

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.