History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stingamires and Attached Outbuilding

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bilsdale Midcable, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3542 / 54°21'15"N

Longitude: -1.1351 / 1°8'6"W

OS Eastings: 456311

OS Northings: 495752

OS Grid: SE563957

Mapcode National: GBR NLJ2.1X

Mapcode Global: WHD80.JTQC

Entry Name: Stingamires and Attached Outbuilding

Listing Date: 30 October 1990

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314894

English Heritage Legacy ID: 333086

Location: Bilsdale Midcable, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, TS9

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Bilsdale Midcable

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Upper Ryedale

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Chop Gate

Listing Text

BILSDALE MIDCABLE STINGAMIRES
SE 59 NE
16/28 Stingamires and
attached outbuilding
II*
Former farmhouse, now private residence. C17 with C18 part
rebuilding and modern rehabilitation. 2 builds, and roof of main
house raised. Herringbone-tooled sandstone, some more lightly
tooled. Pantiled roof with tile ridge, stone copings, kneelers and
stacks. Linear plan: former longhouse, now all in domestic use,
with hearth-passage opened into downhouse/kitchen. Boarded passage
door in chamfered surround. Small fire window to right. Other
windows 2-light Yorkshire sashes, those on ground floor in chamfered
surrounds, those above in inserted half-dormers. Chimneys at ends
and at main hearth. Copings stand proud, showing house was once
thatched; curved kneelers.
Projecting extended outbuilding at left has boarded door on inner
return and garage door in end.
Interior: Chamfered rear passage door and old chamfered beam in
kitchen.
Forehouse has firebeam and another chamfered beam, also original
joists. Stone heck and restored settle. C18 inserted fireplace
dated 1756 with initials RWI and HCI. Salt box and old cupboard at
left. Inserted C19 cast-iron bread oven, by Carter of Kirkby, at
right. In parlour chamfered beams and joists and a small chamfered
rear window. C18 stone fireplace with pilasters, low-relief
elliptical arch above and multi-moulded cornice; inner stone
surround carved to imitate bricks.
One substantial full cruck truss with blades crossed at apex and
trenched for ridge piece (possibly an C18 rearrangement). The
cruck partition is timbered, with old cowdung plaster. Remainder
of roof renewed. Loose sootstone in main chimney.


Listing NGR: SE5631195752

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.