This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5233 / 53°31'23"N
Longitude: -1.1337 / 1°8'1"W
OS Eastings: 457530
OS Northings: 403311
OS Grid: SE575033
Mapcode National: GBR NWJP.CQ
Mapcode Global: WHDD2.KPCT
Entry Name: The Yorkshire Bank
Listing Date: 5 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314903
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335037
Location: Doncaster, DN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town
Built-Up Area: Doncaster
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Doncaster St George
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
TOWN OF DONCASTER HIGH STREET
SE 5703 SE (north side)
7/42 The Yorkshire Bank, No 16
Bank. 1841 by William Hurst with addition of 1906. Ashlar, tooled and with
horizontal rustication to ground floor. Roof hidden. Original part of 3 storeys;
set on corner site with Scot Lane, 3 bays to High Street, curved corner bay and
single bay to Scot Lane. Two storey, 7 bay 1906 addition to Scot Lane. Plinth.
Entrance to corner bay, double panelled doors below plain fanlight in semi-circular
headed doorcase with radiating voussoirs, moulded keystone and impost band. Four
similar openings with plate-glass windows above panelled aprons to High Street and
two similar to Scot Lane. Entablature with roll-moulded stringcourse clasped by
the keystones, plain frieze and moulded cornice. First floor balcony on elaborate
stone brackets to 3 corner bays with square corniced piers and ironwork panels.
To first and second floors these 3 bays are articulated by paired giant Tuscan
pilasters on deep common plinths. First floor: over the entrance is a full length
curved plate-glass sash in eared architrave below dentilled segmental broken
pediment on carved consoles. Similar windows to either side in similar surrounds
except with dentilled cornices. Two similar windows to these to left (High Street).
Above 5 unequally hung plate-glass sashes in eared and shouldered architraves on
bracketed sills. Eaves band, large corniced console brackets supporting moulded
cornice and blocking course. Cornice and blocking course projects over'the
pilasters. 1906 addition to Scot Lane has similar ground floor to original section
except to bay 4 which has semi-circular window in vermiculated surround with dated
keystone, set in pilastered surround with vermiculated banding to pilasters, foliage
frieze and bracketed cornice. Above two left-hand bays are recessed; 5 advanced
bays to right are flanked by paired Ionic-style pilasters with shield and swag
decoration to heads. 7 unequally hung plate-glass sashes in shouldered architraves
with decorated pulvinated friezes and cornices, above projecting corniced aprons,
that to bay 5 set in rusticated stonework below shell head within open segmental
pedimented surround on Ionic style columns with segmental balustraded balcony to
front. Plain parapets over. Originally built for the Doncaster Savings Bank, one
of the earliest banks in the country.
Listing NGR: SE5753003311
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings