This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4771 / 54°28'37"N
Longitude: -1.0599 / 1°3'35"W
OS Eastings: 461017
OS Northings: 509493
OS Grid: NZ610094
Mapcode National: GBR PJ1N.BV
Mapcode Global: WHF8L.PQHM
Entry Name: Kildale Hall
Listing Date: 5 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314915
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333193
Location: Kildale, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO21
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Kildale
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Kildale St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: York
KILDALE MAIN STREET
NZ 60 NW
North side (off)
6/134 Kildale Hall
Large house. Reputedly c.1780, in style early-mid C19, added to
c.1860 by Salvin and raised and extended c.1900. Coursed squared
stone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with ashlar coped
gablets. Entrance elevation: 2 storeys with c.1990 attic; 3:1 bays.
Bay 1 has French window with tripartite sash over. Bay 2 breaks
forward and has canted bay window with sashes supporting iron-
balustraded balcony to 1st floor French window; paired attic sashes
below pedimented gable with coat of arms. Bay 3 has Doric distyle
in antis portico, with door and window infilling and cornice and
blocking course; tripartite lst-floor sash below corbelled eaves;
attic dormer below pedimented gable dated 1901. Bay 4, set back,
has one window on each floor and corbelled lateral stack rising
from eaves. Eaves cornice over all. Hipped roof with corniced
stacks. Left return: main range, on right, is of 5 bays, the end
bays projecting under pediments initialled "RBL" (Robert Bell
Livsey, owner of the Kildale estate in the early C19 (Ridley p.13)
and "MTE" (probably M? and Edmund Turton, the successors to the
estate in the later C19). 2-pane sashes to ground floor, 4-pane
sashes above. Lower wing set back on left has door and various
windows. Further left another wing breaks forward with pedimented
attic storey; and beyond this is a service and outbuilding range.
Interior: fluted Doric columns and egg-and-dart cornice to Dining
Room; moulded cornice with flowers to soffit in Drawing Rood;
panelled doors; stair c.1900.
N. Pevsner, Buildings of England : Yorkshire, The North Riding
I.E. Ridley, The changing face of Kildale, (1986).
Listing NGR: NZ6101709493
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings