This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0801 / 54°4'48"N
Longitude: -1.2419 / 1°14'30"W
OS Eastings: 449697
OS Northings: 465176
OS Grid: SE496651
Mapcode National: GBR MPR8.Y4
Mapcode Global: WHD99.WPTZ
Entry Name: Alne Hall
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314925
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333355
Location: Alne, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Alne
Built-Up Area: Alne
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Alne St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 46 NE ALNE THE AVENUE
5/12 (east side, off)
Former Manor House, now home for the disabled. Later C19, of two builds with rear
range of C17 appearance. C20 alterations. Front range: red brick in Flemish bond.
Brick modillion cornice. Stone 1st floor band and parapet with balusters. Slate
roof. 2 storeys. East elevation of 3 bays including full-height bow of 3 windows
curved on plan with single-bay return to entrance front. Sash windows with glazing
bars. Entrance front of 6 bays, 1 and 5 being full height bows of 3 windows. Late
Cl9-early C20 sashes and casements. Rear range of narrow whitewashed brick with stone
slate roof, stone coping and kneeler to east gable. 2 massive chimneys, upper parts
rebuilt in Cl9 red brick . Formerly 3 storeys as indicated by the 2 bands. Remains of
one square hood mould. Irregular later glazing. Interior of rear range: staircase
hall retains timber frame, stout close studding with rails, up to present 1st floor
level. C18 cut string staircase with 2 types turned balusters per tread and ramped
handrail with curtail. Probably inserted in C19.
Stands on the site of Alne Hall, the country house of the treasurers of St Peters York
in the Middle Ages, mentioned in 1301 and for which there is an inventory of 1508.
VCH. Yorkshire, North Riding. 1923, p85.
Listing NGR: SE4971765187
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings