History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brafferton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1254 / 54°7'31"N

Longitude: -1.3336 / 1°20'1"W

OS Eastings: 443646

OS Northings: 470152

OS Grid: SE436701

Mapcode National: GBR MN4Q.2X

Mapcode Global: WHD92.HK5R

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 17 May 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314926

English Heritage Legacy ID: 333361

Location: Brafferton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Brafferton

Built-Up Area: Helperby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Brafferton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Brafferton

Listing Text

SE 4370 BRAFFERTON BRIDGE STREET
8/18 (north side, off)
17.5.60
Church of St Peter

II*


Church. C15 west tower, early C16 east chapels and chancel arcade. Nave and east wall
of chancel rebuilt 1826-31. J P Pritchett. Restored 1878. Sandstone ashlar. Slate
roof to chancel, other roofs concealed. West tower, wide aisleless nave and 2-bay
chancel flanked by chapels. Battlemented 3-stage tower with set-offs. 3-light window
with C20 glazing, tiny trefoil window and 2-light bell openings. Battlemented nave of
greater width than east end. Wooden roof structure. Stepped group of 3-tall windows
with transoms to each side adapts Perpendicular tracery design of chancel.
Battlemented east chapels and chancel. 4-centred chancel with door. Inscription to
east wall of north chapel: 'Soli deo gloria' and to the south wall of the south
chapel: 'Orate aia Radulfi Nevell fundatoris istius cacellarii'. Below are 3 carved
shields of Ralph Nevill, his wife and daughter Katherine, wife of Sir Walter Strickland
and the words: 'et gloria soli deo honor et...' Plain chancel arcade with octagonal
piers, capitals partly recent. Chamfered 2-centred arches C19 east window with glass
by Kempe (also in south chapel) 1884-91. C14 font basin. Memorial slab to Laton
Trewen Turner d.1777 with urn and inscription to north side of west wall of nave.

Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, North Riding, 1966, P86-7.


Listing NGR: SE4364670152

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.