This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4113 / 54°24'40"N
Longitude: -1.2652 / 1°15'54"W
OS Eastings: 447787
OS Northings: 502012
OS Grid: NZ477020
Mapcode National: GBR MKLF.WF
Mapcode Global: WHD7R.JDR1
Entry Name: Church of Holy Cross
Listing Date: 23 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314939
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333226
Location: Whorlton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL6
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Whorlton
Built-Up Area: Swainby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ 40 SE WHORLTON CHURCH LANE
9/167 Church of
23/6/66 Holy Cross
Parish Church, 1877 by T.H. Wyatt, replacing the earlier church of
the same name (q.v.). Coursed pecked sandstone with ashlar dressings;
plain tiled roofs with tiled ridges and stone gable copings; snecked
stone spire. Nave with north aisle, chancel with north vestry,
north-west tower. Early English style with plate tracery.
Tower of 3 stages has extruded vice in west corner to nave North
door; 2 lancets above, and clock. Paired louvred bell-openings in
shafted 2-centred arch. Stepped angle buttresses, eaves corbel
table and broach spire with lucarnes and vane.
3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel on south. 2-bay north aisle and gabled
vestry with small door.
Interior: plastered with stone features. North arcade has 2 wide
chamfered and moulded 2-centred arches on round pier and half-round
responds. Arch-braced collar-beam roof. Tiled nave floor. Stone
and marble pulpit and base of chancel screen. Wood upper screen,
in very high arch, is World War I memorial. Arch has side shafts
with carved capitals. Polished limestone raised chancel floor.
Stained glass in East window and one south window by Kempe, 1879
and 1903. Also a window with Ss Cecilia and Ursula by A.K:Nicholson,
1923. Another with warlike saints commemorating the Marquis of
Ailesbury and General Gordon of Khartoum, 1886.
Listing NGR: NZ4778702012
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings