This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0638 / 54°3'49"N
Longitude: -1.2873 / 1°17'14"W
OS Eastings: 446742
OS Northings: 463329
OS Grid: SE467633
Mapcode National: GBR MPGF.3Z
Mapcode Global: WHD9H.637Y
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 26 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314960
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333345
Location: Aldwark, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Aldwark
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Alne St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 46 SE ALDWARK THE MAIN STREET
7/2 (west side)
Church of St Stephen
Church. 1846-53. E B Lamb. Alternating courses of red brick in herringbone pattern
and light-coloured cobbles with sandstone ashlar dressings and interior. Stone
bracketed eaves cornice. Plain tiled roofs with diagonals picked out in fishscale
tiles creating a grid of diamond shapes. Stone coping. The plan is an example of this
architect's interest in central emphasis. Single bay chancel, wide square crossing
with corners treated separately, short apsidal transepts and aisleless nave. Small
scale 2-stage tower with low spire situated to north of the nave. It has angle
buttresses, stepped and cogged eaves and a stone bracketed cornice. The monogram E B L
and the date 1853 in stone to the west wall of the tower recurs above the entrance and
to the chancel east wall. 4-centred chamfered stone entrance situated between the
tower and nave has panelled wooden door with tracery head. The 4 stone crossing piers
are square, chamfered from a height of c. 75 centimetres with stone corbels to support
the elaborate wooden roof. Nave roof structure of king post, tie beam and arched
braces on corbels. 4-centred windows with cusped lights except for the east rose
window and chancel oculi and the 3-light 2-centred west window with 'Perpendicular'
tracery and glass by Kempe 1885.
Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, North Riding, 1966, p58.
Listing NGR: SE4674263329
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings