This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5484 / 53°32'54"N
Longitude: -1.4717 / 1°28'17"W
OS Eastings: 435104
OS Northings: 405883
OS Grid: SE351058
Mapcode National: GBR LW5D.5Q
Mapcode Global: WHDCX.C2GJ
Entry Name: Church of St Peter Including Attached Wall and Gateway to South West
Listing Date: 13 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1314984
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333690
Location: Barnsley, S70
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Barnsley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Barnsley St Peter and St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 30 NE
Church of St Peter,
Including attached wall and gateway to south-west
Church and attached wall and gateway. 1893-1910 by Temple Moore. Brick with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. 4-bay nave, 3-bay chancel with lean-to aisles and projecting apsidal chapel to south-east. Square bell-turret to south-east corner of nave. West end: four entrances, two in central, round arched, recessed, open porch with brick vaulted roof, the doorways square-headed with cusped motif to head and central colonnette with canopy above for figure, now missing. Similar, single, pointed-arched porch to each side. Tall 4-light window with decorated tracery. The tall nave has 3-light windows with decorated tracery at high level and at low level on north side. Cambered-headed doorway with projecting reveals on north side. The short south-east tower has ashlar top and slated pyramidal roof. Chancel: slender, high-level 2-light windows with traceried heads. Large 5-light east window with decorated tracery. The projecting chapel is lower and has very slender 2-light traceried windows set in shallow panels separated by buttresses. Attached to south-west is a short wall with 2 openings and arched gateway to the entrance area. Interior: tall 4-bay arcade, to north and south of nave, with engaged filleted colonnettes. 3-bay chancel arcade on clustered, filleted columns. Narrow aisles. Wooden rib-vaulted roofs. Across the 1st bay of the nave is a low, 5-bay, arcaded ambulatory with stone, rib-vaulted roof. The central arch is round, the rest pointed. On the west wall are the main entrances and 2 staircases to the rear gallery. Roof loft. Loose seating. High standard of detailing.
Listing NGR: SE3510405883
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings