This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4943 / 53°29'39"N
Longitude: -1.4205 / 1°25'13"W
OS Eastings: 438540
OS Northings: 399893
OS Grid: SK385998
Mapcode National: GBR LXJ1.83
Mapcode Global: WHDD4.4FTJ
Entry Name: Workshop Adjoining Southern Corner of Aisled Workshop at Ncb Workshops
Listing Date: 4 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315025
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333896
Location: Barnsley, S74
Electoral Ward/Division: Hoyland Milton
Built-Up Area: Hoyland
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Elsecar Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
HOYLAND NETHER WATH ROAD
(east side, off)
- Workshop adjoining
southern corner of
aisled workshop at NCB
Workshops. Mid C19. For the Fitzwilliam estate. Coursed, dressed sandstone, Welsh
slate roofs. 2 storeys, 3 x 7 bays. End elevation has C20 double-door beneath
cantilevered external stone steps and landing on iron strut, iron balustrade.
Ground floor doorway on right has boarded door and overlight beneath plain lintel.
1st floor: wallstone band interrupted by door having fanlight with radial glazing
bars and round arch. Diamond-latticed iron casement on left has projecting sill and
plain lintel, similar opening on right with later casement. Wallstone eaves band,
hipped roof. Right return: basket archway to left of centre has quoins and keystone;
2 iron casements to each side, door and additional opening to far right. 1st floor:
loading door with steel jib to right of archway; 2 diamond-latticed casements on
right with round-headed window beyond; 4 later casements on left of loading door.
The ground floor was used as a steam-powered saw mill, the 1st floor as a saddlery
and pattern store for the joiners shop. One of the better preserved elements of the
Elsecar ironworks originally operated by William Darwin and Co from 1795 until
leased by Earl Fitzwilliam to George and William Dawes from c1850 until 1884. C20
building attached to left return not of special interest.
Listing NGR: SK3854099893
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings