History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Greyhound Stone Approximately 300 Metres East of Junction with Hartcliff Hill Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Penistone, Barnsley

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.512 / 53°30'43"N

Longitude: -1.658 / 1°39'28"W

OS Eastings: 422775

OS Northings: 401751

OS Grid: SE227017

Mapcode National: GBR JWVT.VS

Mapcode Global: WHCBP.HZPK

Entry Name: Greyhound Stone Approximately 300 Metres East of Junction with Hartcliff Hill Road

Listing Date: 21 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315058

English Heritage Legacy ID: 333851

Location: Penistone, Barnsley, S36

County: Barnsley

Civil Parish: Penistone

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Thurlstone St Saviour

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Langsett

Listing Text

SE20SW LANGSETT HARTCLIFF ROAD
SE2280 0175 (north side),
Langsett
6/70 Greyhound Stone
approx. 300 metres
east of junction with
Hartcliff Hill Road
II
Boundary marker. Date uncertain but probably medieval. Sandstone post.
Rectangular with elliptical panel with bas-relief of a running greyhound.
Above, later inscribed initials read 'M W P'. The stone is built into a
dry-stone wall. The stone is mentioned in accounts of the boundaries of
the parish of Thurlstone in the time of Henry VIII, and of Langsett in 1695.
It is also mentioned in the Enclosure Act of 1814 relating to the parishes of
Penistone, Langsett and Thurlstone. It is thought to have been moved between
1816 and 1820 to mark the boundaries of William Payne and Lord Melbourne the
former purchasing the manor of Langsett from Lord Melbourne in 1814. It has
been suggested (Dransfield) that the initials 'M W P' refer to these names and
were added at this time. In 1984 the stone was moved back to its original site
according to the 1814 documents.
J. H. Dransfield, History of Penistone, 1906.


Listing NGR: SE2277501751

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.