This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5026 / 53°30'9"N
Longitude: -1.4536 / 1°27'12"W
OS Eastings: 436342
OS Northings: 400791
OS Grid: SE363007
Mapcode National: GBR LW9Y.34
Mapcode Global: WHDD3.N716
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 4 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315062
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333883
Location: Barnsley, S74
Electoral Ward/Division: Rockingham
Built-Up Area: Hoyland
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Nether Hoyland St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
HOYLAND NETHER HAWSHAW LANE
SE30SE (south-east side)
Church of St. Peter
Church. 1830 by Watson, Pritchett and Watson (Colvin p665). Deeply-coursed,
dressed sandstone, Welsh slate roof. Orientated north-east/south-west, ritual
orientation used here. West tower with lean-to north porch and south vestry,
4-bay nave and chancel in one with later north organ projection. Gothic Revival
style; offset buttresses, hoodmoulds, embattled parapets. Tower: string courses
between 3 offset stages. Diagonal buttresses rise as pinnacles with carved heads
and crockets. Cavetto-moulded 2-light west window with cusped, pointed head;
square-headed single-light window over; louvred 2-light belfry openings. Clocks
to north and south beneath peaked parapet. Recessed, octagonal, ashlar spire.
Lean-to north porch has Tudor-arched doorway, south vestry has later addition
with west door. Nave and chancel: cavetto-moulded plinth, buttresses between bays,
offset beneath 3-light windows which have leaded lights in cavetto-moulded surrounds
with cusped heads. Oversailing course, embattled parapet. Organ projection has
geometrical 2-light window and coped gable. Angle buttresses flank pointed, 4-light
east window; quatrefoil in square recess beneath altered east gable.
Interior: cantilevered stone stair into bellchamber, iron handrail. West gallery
on 2 octagonal pillars. Quadrant-moulded organ arch with keeled shafts. Continuous
hoodmould over windows. Underdrawn roof with moulded beams and pierced archbraces
at chancel division. Oak reredos commemorates men lost in the Great War. Trefoil-
headed panelling to dado and gallery balustrade. Built on the site of a chapel
erected in 1734-40 for the Townend family. Structure now heavily braced against
H. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1650-1840, 1978.
Listing NGR: SE3634200791
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings