This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4913 / 53°29'28"N
Longitude: -1.5324 / 1°31'56"W
OS Eastings: 431124
OS Northings: 399501
OS Grid: SK311995
Mapcode National: GBR KXR2.15
Mapcode Global: WHCBY.FHJV
Entry Name: Stable Block to Wortley Hall
Listing Date: 4 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315070
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334013
Location: Wortley, Barnsley, S35
Civil Parish: Wortley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Wortley St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
WORTlEY WORTLEY PARK
4/137 Stable-block to
Stable-block. Early Cl9. For the Wortley Hall estate. Coursed, dressed
sandstone, graduated slate roof. Partly 2 storeys, 5 : 3 : 5 bays, symmetrical
elevations with central 3-bay pediments breaking forward. Ashlar plinth.
Central carriage entrance has impost band to rusticated round arch, flanking
bays all have a blind round-arched recess with projecting sill and rusticated
voussoirs, linking impost band; recesses to bays 2, 4, 10, 12 set back within
larger round-arched panels. Cornice and blocking course, central pediment with
glass-faced clock. Hipped roof with corniced stacks near each end, louvred
ridge ventilators. Octagonal central cupola with archivolted opening in each
face, cornice and ball-finialled balustrade, lead dome with apex finial.
Rear: in same style, end bays and 4th from ends have 9-panel doors; unequally-hung
25-pane sashes to other round-arched openings. Roof dormers. Each return has a
blind, Venetian window.
Interior: some original horse-standing fixtures in left part, tiled back walls.
In 1797 John Carr and assistant Peter Atkinson were engaged by James Archibald
Stuart-Wortley and submitted schemes including that for the stable. This had
not been built by 1800 but it is probable that the present design draws from their
work. The cupola matches that on Wortley Hall (q.v.) added later in the century
probably by William Burn (Hewlings).
R. Hewlings, 'Wortley Hall', Archaeological Journal, vol 137, 1980, pp397-400.
Listing NGR: SK3112499501
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings