History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Lewden Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Worsbrough, Barnsley

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5277 / 53°31'39"N

Longitude: -1.4495 / 1°26'58"W

OS Eastings: 436588

OS Northings: 403584

OS Grid: SE365035

Mapcode National: GBR LW9N.Z5

Mapcode Global: WHDCX.PLYH

Entry Name: Lower Lewden Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315082

English Heritage Legacy ID: 333979

Location: Barnsley, S70

County: Barnsley

Electoral Ward/Division: Worsbrough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Worsbrough St Thomas and St James

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Barnsley

Listing Text

WORSBROUGH STATION ROAD
SE30SE (south side, off)

2/103 Lower Lewden Farmhouse
II
Farmhouse now 2 dwellings. Early C17 and early C18, restored 1925. Deeply-coursed,
dressed sandstone, stone slate roof. L-shaped plan. Entrance front: 2 storeys,
2 : 3 windows to 1st floor. Renewed windows probably of 1925. Wing on left has
double-chamfered, quoined doorway flanked on right by single-light window and on
left by 2-light window; two 2-light windows over. Stair projection under cat-slide
roof in angle with main range has C17 two-light mullioned window with hoodmould.
Main range on right has door to left of two 4-light mullioned windows with dripstones;
mullioned windows of 4, 2 and 3 lights over; infilled restoration plaque dated 1925.
Hipped roof to wing on left has stack at front eaves; corniced ridge stack to range
on right. Rear: much original fenestration. Early C17 part on right has lateral
stack with corniced shaft; 2-light mullioned window on right with hoodmould; 4-light
window with hoodmould and altered 2-light window on left with 3-light window with
hoodmould and 2-light window above. Straight joint with C18 part on left having
C20 conservatory enclosing original chamfered doorway and window; double-chamfered
2-light window on right with cornice, 2 similar windows to 1st floor, small chamfered
light on right. Left return: C20 conservatory flanked by 24-pane sashes on both
floors.

Interior: stone staircase in outshut now encased, some oak panelling at head of stair.


Listing NGR: SE3658803584

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.