History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Silton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Nether Silton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3248 / 54°19'29"N

Longitude: -1.303 / 1°18'10"W

OS Eastings: 445432

OS Northings: 492361

OS Grid: SE454923

Mapcode National: GBR MLBF.QF

Mapcode Global: WHD83.YKQD

Entry Name: Silton Hall

Listing Date: 29 January 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315096

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332183

Location: Nether Silton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO7

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Nether Silton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Borrowby

Listing Text


SE 4492-4592 NETHER SILTON THE GREEN
(west side)
8/46 Silton Hall
29.1.53

GV II
House. Late C16 origins, early C17, late C18 and 1838, the latter for
Colonel Hicks. Ashlar with pantile roof. South front: 2 storeys, 3 1/2 bays
with wing to rear right and rear range. 2 right-hand bays: late C18. On
left a glazed door and fanlight with radial glazing bars in stone architrave
with pilasters and keyed archivolt; above it an 8-pane casement in plain
stone surround with projecting sill. Right bay has a full height bow with
unequally hung 20-pane sash to ground floor and 16-pane sash above, both
with stone lintels and sills. Eaves band, ashlar coping to left. Left bay:
octagonal full-height tower of 1838 having 4-centred-arched openings, a
glazed door to left-hand side, the first-floor windows with Gothic glazing
bars, a stone band and corniced parapet. Tower linked to main block by
narrow bay which has a 12-pane sash and 2 small single-light arched windows
above. Hipped roofs. Ridge stacks. Rear (north wing): late C16. A late
C16 central doorway with a lintel cambered on the underside. Right return:
C18. 6 bays. C19 double 4-pane sashes to ground floor and 4-pane sashes to
first floor. Ashlar coping and bellcote to right end. At one time a
school for orphans of the clergy founded in 1749 and established here 1800.
Colonel Hicks was in the Light Dragoons and fought at the Battle of
Waterloo.


Listing NGR: SE4543292361

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.