This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3801 / 54°22'48"N
Longitude: -1.3097 / 1°18'34"W
OS Eastings: 444932
OS Northings: 498513
OS Grid: SE449985
Mapcode National: GBR MK9S.7M
Mapcode Global: WHD7X.V5HF
Entry Name: Mount Grace Priory
Listing Date: 31 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315123
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332435
Location: East Harlsey, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL6
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: East Harlsey
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
EAST HARLSEY A 19
SE 49 NW
(east side, off)
2/2 Mount Grace Priory
Ruins of Carthusian Priory. 1398 and C15. Ashlar, coursed squared stone.
Plan: great cloister to north, church to centre, scanty remains of lay
brothers' quarters to south. Gateway to west attached to Mount Grace House
(qv). Church: ruins of nave, north and south transepts with central
crossing and tower, chancel. Nave: now ruinous, west wall with moulded
pointed-arched door below large 4-centred-arched window, both with hoods.
Central tower of 2 stages above roof level. Offset diagonal buttresses,
tall pointed-arched, cusped belfry openings with hoodmoulds. Moulded eaves
band, embattled parapet with remains of pinnacles to each corner. South
transept has offset diagonal buttresses with large Perpendicular window
opening with hoodmould. Chancel has remains of north wall with 3 high
4-centred-arched windows. Interior: crossing has clustered responds with
moulded capitals, to moulded pointed arches with hoodmoulds. Great
cloister: 270 feet by 230 feet; around an open square are remains of single
cells with their attached gardens for approximately 20 monks. Courtyard
wall remains to first-floor height, with front walls of cells rising to
2-storey height. Corbels at first-floor level for former covered walkway.
Each cell has a 4-centred-arched doorway with a right-angled food opening to
the side. To north of cloister is a complete monks cell restored c1901. It
is of 2 storeys. Central 4-centred-arched doorway with hoodmould and food
opening to right. First-floor band. Stone coping, graduated stone slate
roof. Behind each cell is garden wall and lavatory set in the wall with a
chamfered doorway. To east side of cloister is a wellhead with gabled
vaulted roof. To the north-west of the church nave is the remains of an
oriel window, probably to the Prior's house. To south-west of church
attached to the Mount Grace House is the main entrance under 3 pointed
arches. History: it is the best preserved charterhouse in England. It was
founded by Thomas of Holland, Duke of Surrey in 1398; and is the last but
one of 7 charterhouses erected between 1343 and 1414. VCH, II, pp 24-26.
Mount Grace Priory English Heritage Guide Book. Ancient Monument No 10,
Listing NGR: SE4492898574
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings