History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Birkby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4158 / 54°24'56"N

Longitude: -1.4906 / 1°29'26"W

OS Eastings: 433154

OS Northings: 502384

OS Grid: NZ331023

Mapcode National: GBR LK1C.2T

Mapcode Global: WHD7N.28GL

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 31 March 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315131

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332370

Location: Birkby, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL7

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Birkby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Birkby St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Danby Wiske

Listing Text



NZ 30 SW BIRKBY

6/7 Church of St Peter
31.3.70

- II

Church. 1776 with alterations in 1872. Brick with ashlar dressings and
graduated stone slate roof. Nave with south porch and chancel bay. Ashlar
plinth. Nave: 3 bays. Gabled south porch of 1872 to west with pointed-
arched chamfered doorway, diagonal buttresses, stone coping and gable cross.
Two 1872 2-light pointed-arched chamfered windows with hoodmoulds, Decorated
in style. Continuous sill band. North side: outer bays have original blind
round-arched windows with brick voussoirs and keystones, central window
similar to south windows within an C18 opening. West end has similar
window. Eaves band, stone coping. Also a gabled bellcote of 1872 with 2
pointed-arched openings and round opening in gable, gable cross. Chancel:
consists of a large canted bay, also with sill band. 3-light pointed east
window of 1872 has geometric tracery and hoodmould, to each side blind
round-arched windows of 1776 with brick voussoirs and keystones. Roof
hipped with weather-vane. Porch and eastern window interrupting blocked C18
round-arched windows of gauged brick with stone keyblocks. Interior: Full
set of C17 benches, oak panelled with 2 knob finials to each bench end.


Listing NGR: NZ3315402384

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.